Artemisia Limelight He!! Story

This is a warning to NOT buy this plant this year at your local Kmart, Walmart, Lowes...

I saw this 'new' Artemisia in the local retailer last year, bought it in a small quart size and planted it. It starts out small and varagated but quickly grew into a 4 foot high ugly bush with out any varigation. The thing looked like a weed. We planted it in a landscaped area with landscaping fabric with multch on top of it. After the winter I planned on digging it up and getting rid of it but the plant clearly had a mind of it's own. Early in the spring it started growing. Not only growing from the hole in the fabric but growing in a 5 foot by 5 foot area underneath the fabric. The fabric lifted up so high that the multch fell off in that area and the plants would not be detered even though it was covered. Nothing was stopping this thing from literally taking over. A quart size plant planted last year is now a gigantic bed of plants. To further add insult to injury we tried digging it up and it is virtually impoosible to dig up. The roots are as fragile as wet spagetti and there is thousands of roots and shoots. The root base of the plant was 3 foot by 3 foot by 2 foot mass of most roots and some dirt. We tried to get all the shoots and things out of the ground but that is impossible so only time will tell what will happen next. We had to use fill dirt to fill the hole left from the roots. WHAT A MESS!

I saw this for sale in a garden center this year and felt sorry for anyone buying it and not know what they are getting into. If you want a picture of the young plant go here:

though some of the specs of this plant say grows 12 to 18 inches- my tag on the one I bought says 3 to 5 feet. That was definitly my experience.

If you buy it DO NOT put it anywhere but a planter box other wise it will take over and crowd out and kill everything else around it.

Things the garden centers don't tell you that I thought I would pass along.

Reply to
Chester Deja

Cheryl Isaak

Hmmm.....I planted one of these last year. I've had various other artemisias do well for me, but this one was sort of a dud. It formed a modest little clump, but most of it died out over the winter. I've got just one tiny sprig of it this spring. Guess I'll keep an eye on it!

Cheers, Sue

Reply to
SugarChile

Maybe I should dig it out and put it into a container, also. I planted it in one of the new boarders I made in the front gardens.

Thanks for the warning.

victoria

Reply to
escapee

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Sounds like the Silver King artemisia.. runs wild too. Kinda ugly too. Nice as a background for blue plants. Can't recall if wormwood is an artemisia but it'll get out of hand too, but nowhere near like the silver king and its "relatives" ;-)

Janice

Reply to
Janice

No it doesn't. It is a plant which grows to approximately a 3 foot diameter. It doesn't run wild. It needs to be cut back a few times during the growing season to maintain a beautiful shape and vigor. A beautiful, xeric plant.

Reply to
escapee

Could we be seeing a "common name" vs. "Latin" issue? I've had two "southernwoods" - one was a woody shrub, the other a runner.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

those pics of varieg a vulg. are rather vomitaceous anyways. :)

Janice in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

herbaceous artemesias tend to to dry out or die out soon here.

i think straight A vulgaris did ok (about 6 years?). looked ok with the dark stems. especially toward evening. about 4.5 ft tall.

has nice varieg (not well shown in these pics), but isn't tough at all

Gardñ

Artemesia ludoviciana

Silver King

Stands of silvery gray foliage growing 2 to 3&1/2 feet tall, 2 to 3 foot spread. Large panicles of whitish flower heards. Full sun, quite drought tolerant. Deer resistant. A good background plant for perennials. Foliage used for cutting.

Reply to
escapee