Text messages, now you see, now you don't

This has happened twice this week, not quite the same and its an older Iphone I'm using...

I messaged someone, after which a comment appeared such as who is that, then a reply saying it was from Harry. The two messages obviously wasn't for me, but then seconds later they disappeared.

Today similar happened, someone sent me a message saying they were not going to be able to turn up, I replied with a message expressing my disappointment, I then briefly saw message asking if I was OK. As I was replying to that, the message asking if I was OK disappeared. The 'are you OK', seemed to fit the thread.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Are the real SMS messages carried by your network's SMSC, or Apple iMessages? I don't have an iThing so don't know how you'd tell (I have a vugie recollection some are green the others are blue) even if they hadn't disappeared. Can you disable iMessages?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The first was a message via Imessage, the second via the normal mobile network.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

iphones don't send just normal SMS texts, the imessages can be deleted.

Reply to
Blano

Blano explained on 07/08/2015 :

What, by the sender of the message?

The second message - might it have been sent via Imessage (hence her being able to delete it), but when I replied, despite having Imessage enabled and my phone connected via wifi, my message in reply went via the mobile network?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Might you have several iphones/ipads/ipods signed in on the same apple account, and they're being read and deleted on one just as they're being seen on the other?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, for just that situation where you send in error.

The system can be a bit quirky like that, particularly when it decides that the receiver isn't currently available and so sends it via SMS.

Reply to
Blano

Andy Burns was thinking very hard :

No, I am on my own and I only have one phone able to use the wifi here. The brief messages which saw, seemed to fit with the message thread and the message I had sent, even with my name mentioned in one.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes, I remember your recent threads.

The other device might not necessarily be on your WiFi, as long as it's on the internet somewhere. I wondered if your partner used to have another ithing on an account which you shared, and which has now been given to a relative?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Andy Burns formulated on Saturday :

No, she struggled to use just basic phones - but one relative does have an Iphone, which is set up for access on our wifi. I wasn't messaging him at the time, but his sister, when I saw a message asking who I was and a reply which mentioned my name, before both messages disappeared.

Anyway, the rule would seem to be - to leave messages a while before replying to them, to make sure they are actually valid and intended for you.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield