What am I looking for?

OK, this is a long shot....

I'm trying to find the proper name for a plant that I saw some time ago...

It was called a "chinese dragon plant" but alas Google has not heard of any such plant.

It was a hedge type plant, perhaps 2-3 feet high. I don't recall what the leaves, if any, looked like.

Its most prominent features were the thorns. It sprouted an evil looking, curved thorn about 1" or 1 1/2" long every few inches of stem. When it did, the stem bent sharply in an apparently random direction.

I was told this plant was grown in China as a protective hedge, and from its wicked appearance, I believe it.

In spite of its ferocious nature it was very graceful and I would love to get one, but I can't find it....

Does anyone have any ideas on what it might be?

Reply to
CptDondo

Your description reminds me a plant I've heard called a 'geometry tree' or a 'zigzag plant'. Try a search for decaryia madagascariensis and see if that's what you're looking for.

Tracey

Reply to
Tracey

Try a search with "Poncirus trifoliata Flying Dragon" and see if that's what you're looking for. Commonly used as a dwarfing rootstock for citrus, it also is a stunningly thorny ornamental and is naturalized in some areas. Hardy to below 0, it is well suited for many climates. Hope this helps,

Reply to
Elizabeth

That's it!

I must have seen it in its winter state... I don't recall the leaves or fruit at all.

Thanks!

--Yan

Reply to
CptDondo

That is wild looking!

Thanks Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Now you know why I want one.... I've been missing my madagascar palm and I want something else weird and wild....

Here's a pic from OSU.... :-)

CptDondo