?? using mulch ???

I have more of a brown thumb than I do a green one (sigh!?).

Stupid question (?) -- is it alright to use a good, thick layer of cypress mulch around the base of cucumbers & cantaloupes to keep weeds at bay? I've never used mulch around either (or anything for that matter!), so I've no clue.

When is it NOT a good time to use (cypress) mulch (on anything?)?

TIA.

Skyhooks hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

"reply to" address munged -- read line above for correct addy.

Reply to
Skyhooks

FIRST, when you say cypress, I know at least two different plants (trees) that are called cypress. One is Italian Cypress and the other is the Bald Cypress. And other plants have the common name of Cyress. Do you have a Scientific name? or describe the plant. Genereral rule of thumb is a lot of evergreens (cone making types like Pine, firs, spruce etc) are acid making when mixed into the soil. But for some reason as a mulch may not acidify much. Especially when you use other plant material mixed in, the mulch doesn't seem to acidify strong as one might expect. If there is acidity, dolomite is a cheap.

Reply to
Tony Z

Dunno, and it's not specified on the bags (2 sq ft each) I purchased from a local nursery-type store; no scientific name on the bags :( It's cypress bark, and it's rather stringy. I'm not mixing it with the soil, using it solely as top-cover mulch to inhibit/prevent weed germination. I know the mulch will also help to retain moisture so I won't need to water as much.

Sky hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

reply-to addresss munged -- read line above.

Reply to
Skyhooks