Are there any septic-tank-safe trees?

I have recently acquired a house with a septic tank. The books I have read say not to plant shrubs or trees near the tank or drainage field because the roots will damage it. Unfortunately, it's exactly in an area I want to cross with a border.

Are there any trees/brush suitable for a hedge that have a superficial spreading root system shallow enough to be safe for a septic tank?

Thanks!

billo

Reply to
Bill Oliver

Ask your local council's sanitation officer (or whoever is responsible for septic tanks) they will have a list of plants suitable for the drain field, some insist on the field being planted to assist with take-up of nutrients in order to reduce algal blooms etc in waterways due to runoff.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Probably not a good idea. If you don't want grass over your tank and drainfield, you can certainly make a border with herbaceous perennials and annuals, but shrubs are risky. We have spent over $1000 during the past couple of years to clear tree roots from our drainfield. The roots infiltrate the pipes and then completely block them. Our lot is

25 years old and wooded, so there's not a lot we can do to prevent tree roots short of clearcutting. But if you don't have the problem, why create a situation where you might in a few years. You really don't want the contents of your septic tank backing up into your house or yard.

Depending on how deep your drain lines are, you might get away with fibrous, shallow rooted shrubs like Rhododendrons, but be aware that septic effluent can make the soil alkaline.

Nick

Reply to
Myrmecodia

A lot of good info here concerning your drain field and plants:

Retiredff

That's a good idea. I can certainly ask the ag extension people.

billo

Reply to
Bill Oliver

Yes, that's what I'm afraid of. My father had to have his repaired a couple of years ago, and it was quite costly.

billo

Reply to
Bill Oliver

Good site!