Self-professed brown thumb needs some help!

Hi all!

I'm a brown-thumb through and through. I'm starting to have a little more success with my plants but have a couple of questions regarding appropriate watering. I have some indoor and outdoor plants in planters. My main question is how can I tell when it's time to water? Do soil moisture indicators help? What about self-watering devices?

Hoping to keep them growing!

Cheers.

Reply to
ncgirl

Hi Ncgirl. Question: do your planters have drainage or do they sit on a tray to catch the water. General rule of thumb is if the planter has drainage (holes in the bottom to let the excess water drain) then you fill up the planter twice (once for the pot and once for the plant). In cool weather water once a week, in hot weather two or three times a week should do it depending on the size of the planters. If you can't feel any moisture an inch down into the soil then it's time to water. Helps?

Reply to
J. Lane