Royal Paulownia tree

Hi Y'all,
Found a catalog ad for a Royal Paulownia tree for $4.99. Ad states it can grow roof high in one year. (Does this seem legit?)
Is this tree in the same family as the Royal Poinciana.
I livein west central Florida.
Y'all have helped me before.
Thanks,
Bill

No.
The Pawlonia is a giant weed, but that sort of growth would be pushing the envelope.
For that price you will get a pretty small plant, and it won't take off for a year or two.
Its a weed tree that you don't want to deliberately plant in your yard no matter how cheap it is.

I agree, but if you have a large property, it is a great fast growing tree. It is said to be one which can take over, but not here in Texas. The problem trees here are Chinese tallow and wax leaf ligustrum. I planted my P. out at the far back of the property to shade out the dumb street light...and it does that perfectly. It's not near any water pipes or wells, or sewer drains. I wouldn't plant it near any of those.
opined:

popping up in your lawn and garden from your neighbors.
zhan

Hi Bill
Not sure about the "weed" issue! I guess what you are talking about are a Paulownia tormentosa (syn. P. imperialis) and definatley not related to Poinciana! This is a tree from China growing up to 50ft tall - and yes indeed wery farst the first years, I would say up to 5-6ft the first year. But it does not send out runners and it does not flower the first years! So it will deffinately not pop up in your lawn the first years - what happens when it do flower and set seed i don't know though! I think the other guys have an other plant in mind! best wishes
Dr_B snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com in

http://www.google.com/search?q=Paulownia%20scrophulariaceae%20weed%20 &hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw
This is a tree from China growing up to 50ft

seems to be a weed in eastern wet summer climates

I have seen Paulownia do 6-8' in one year after it had established a root system...but why would you want this darned thing> It is flowery - true - but the wood is weaker than balsa, it is very short lived, it makes a hell of a mess, and it is an invasive exotic.
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

I bought a Paulownia at (of all places) Home Depot. It is a Paulownia kawakamii. It was 2 feet tall when I bought it. The first year it grew 8 feet, this is it's second year (third growing season) and it is about 20 feet tall. These are very fast growning trees, and they are actually also hardwood.
http://www.smgrowers.com/info/paulownia.asp http://www.dragontrees.com/dragonbe.html
Here are two URL's with the info on them.