tree and shrub catalog

Can anyone recommend a catalog that you have gotten quality trees and shrubs from? I am located in the South. GCS

Reply to
RESPITE95

If you're in the New Orleans area, you can have 2 adolescent deciduous oaks (15 feet high, about 6 in. diameter, nursery price $400-$700) for trade or a much lower price if you dig and fill. One of my neighbors, a man of 50 in good shape, dug one out with a shovel in about 45 minutes. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

you might do a web search for muller trees....I don't have the web address offhand, but theyh reputedly have good stock.

Linda H.

Reply to
Tallgrass

I think that might be Musser Forests :-)) Another excellent mail order source is ForestFarms. A google search will produce their websites. Neither are located anywhere near the south but will ship anywhere in the country. Have you tried any of your local nurseries? They will have a selection of plants most suited to your local environment. While they may very well be a bit of a drive away, that offsets the increased costs of shipping and you will invariably get larger plants than you could by mail. Unless you are looking for something that is uncommon and difficult to find, it often makes more sense to patronize and support your local nurseries.

pam - gardengal

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

quality trees and

the web

mail order

Musser forests:

-- (maybe no "s" on the end) I ordered some trees from them a few years ago and they did NOT do well in our summer heat (even though their USDA zone says they grow here). There ARE wide differences between the species born in the northern part of its range and the same tree from the south.

Forest Farm is

I haven't ordered yet. The catalog is MUCH more extensive than Musser's, and is actually fun to read. I have a friend who works for the SODS office of the USDA (Maryland) who recently ordered from Forest Farm and she was happy with the result. This company is in Oregon so I most likely would have the same problem.

Here --

-- is a link to a list of forestry nurseries in North Florida and South Georgia. I have dealt with Florida Lands & Timber (in the past) over the course of several years when I worked for Florida's environmental agency and we gave away seedlings for Earth Day every year. They have a fair variety of trees, and most are natives of the Southeastern US. However, you cannot just buy ONE tree. They sell packaged bare-root seedlings; I think 25 is (or was) the minimum order per species.

Jim Lewis - snipped-for-privacy@nettally.com - Tallahassee, FL - Apples and Oranges: A Demonstration -- Welcome to Hooterville! Population:

2000. Elevation: 3000. Established: 1850. TOTAL = 6850 -- Bob Lilienfield
Reply to
Jim Lewis