Roses and Garlic

I've heard repeatedly that planting garlic between rose bushes helps keep off pests.
Any experience out there? Would like some real-world input before I launch my garlic-between-roses campaign.
Persephone
On Apr 3, 6:44 pm, Persephone wrote:

Sorry, none here. However, marigolds seem to help mine.
Patrick
On Apr 3, 4:44 pm, Persephone wrote:

I tried this with garlic chives rather than garlic. It did keep the aphids away from the roses: they were attracted to the garlic chives instead! They were _covered_ with aphids! I decided that I would just leave the aphids on the roses and let the hummingbirds/ladybugs/soldier beetles take care of them. And they do.
Emilie Nor Cal

Not sure WHAT aphids look like! After all these years...!
Are they the icky-sticky little things that cluster on the new buds and the adjacent stems, right at the beginning of the new growth?
If so, how do you get them off? I just wipe them off with my fingers (ick) or sometimes a wet paper towel.
If NOT the same, how do you get off the "icky-sticky" little things described above?
TIA
Persephone wrote in wrote:

That's them. Sometimes you can just hose them off (but it just moves them elsewhere, I suppose). I've used a hot sauce/water mist to remove them for a while and sometimes they don't return for a long while after a good coating of that. Beneficial insects are good, too. Buy a bunch of praying mantises and watch how fast THEY have a feast. I've gotten a real appreciation for praying mantises in the last few years.
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 16:44:37 -0700, Persephone wrote:

I did exactly this. The garlic has been growth there for 10+ years, popping up in January then dying off in the June summer heat. I still use a systemic, else my roses would be covered with aphids. The garlic has no or little effect with Japanese beetles. The garlic seems to enjoy all the cow manure, fish emulsion and other fertilizers applied. Other than appearance, I don't see a lot of benefit from the garlic.
g'day persephone,
yes the theory being that garlic even garlic chives growing around the roses or any plants for that matter, distracts the ants from wanting to be there, so therefore no ants means no aphids/mealybugs/scale insects.
lot sue the process
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 16:44:37 -0700, Persephone wrote:
snipped With peace and brightest of blessings,
len & bev
http://www.lensgarden.com.au /