Re: Weed identification

No ID, but it sounds like a candidate for some broadleaf spray, which would be less laborious than individual RoundUp treatment. I have something similar, and just haven't been able to find a small hand-sprayer of Weed-b-gon to treat it.

I've tried Spectricide and Weed-B-Gone. They are effective with two or three applications on this particular weed. I've been fighting this weed for many years, and now I yank them out (break them off) while I mow and out them into a plastic bag. I'd like to learn more about this weed, but not having identified it makes it difficult to find on the web. I thought it is knotweed or pigweed (the leaves look like a pig's ear). I'm patient and still searching. Anyone know about a good web site for weed identification?
You could try www.scotts.com . Or you could try bring a specimen to your local county extension and they should be able to help you.
-Kevin
Don't forget to check out my cartoon, Virtual Humor! http://www.kevinduffy.net/vh.htm

You may or may not want to feel guilty for calling this uncommon but widespread native plant a weed. If it was a bit more showier, it would be grown as a garden plant.
It is Diodia virginiana L., commonly called "Buttonweed".
http://www.missouriplants.com/Whiteopp/Diodia_virginiana_page.html
http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/diodiavirg.html
http://fp.bio.utk.edu/botany/Botany_courses/botany330/plantlist.su00/New%20w ebpage/Rubiaceae/Buttonweed.jpg
The paired leaves and four petaled white flowers are characteristic.
Since it is a plant that favors wet soil, your lawn is probably getting a bit too much water.

It is Buttonweed (Diodia Virginiana L.) and it grows in the lower parts of the yard where there is a lot of water (a natural spring-fed pond and mountain brook are nearby and I have a crawfish problem in the yard). I've been diligent about handpicking it before it flowers, but there's always new seeds coming in. Thanks to all that responded.
On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 21:57:45 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"

That's it! Buttonweed. And it's sure vriginiana. "Too much" water may not be a requisite. It's certainly been a lot more vigorous in this rainy spring/summer, but appears and thrives even in dry years.

Right. I've known that habitat and characteristics of Buttonweed for many years, yet it was not until now I have it identified. This is one tough weed to control!

Hmm. Checking Cereoid's URLs with mentions of seeds leads me to believe if we can see the flowers, we've waited too long to apply some form of control. I'll bet a couple of seasons of zapping this as soon as we can recognize the leaves might be quite effective.
Could it be dayflower? Check out at http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/wayne/agriculture/dayflower.html