Question (I need this answer seriously as soon as possible)

Since you know all about the four-year drought that finally broke in the Mid-Atlantic region, I'll tell you a little story.

We had a friend who moved from Central Va. to Sante Fe last year. Not far from Albuquerque, not sure of the distance. She moved from one bad drought to an even worse one, according to her. Water restrictions and all.

Since you are the 'Madgardener', you might want to really consider that part of the equation.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

Reply to
Retiredff

I have 13 cousins living there. Went there for conference and met them then came back with my mother and DH to visit the cousins ... in July. Yes, it was hot. BUT.... they got enough water unlike Santa Fe. I dont think I have ever seen a more beautiful campus than the U of NM. The buildings and the landscaping. Since they do have winter, I think almost anything you have could grow there. The key is having water features in adobe walled gardens. Ups the humidity. But I would want to live up in the Sandias if I had a choice. Consider that it might not be forever either. I dont think I could move from Milwaukee area. Mostly cause most of my family and friends are here. I know you are considering Squire's feelings, but consider how happy he is going to be if you are really miserable. So make a deal for two years and if you cant take it, then maybe move back to the woodlands. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

thanks Bill for the supportive words. I will keep my gardening friends abreast of the situations when they become clearer. madgardener

Reply to
Madgardener

awww honey. You're too sweet! So you live in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountain area. I love that section of the country too. Went thru it when going up to DC to pick up Squire one year a few times and the drive thru the "Ridge" was breath taking. The valleys that lay between those ridges was inspiring to me........this is one of the hardest things I've had to decide since having to come to terms with moving HERE believe it or not. Everyone is supportative of whatever I decide. There are huge obstacles in the way, of which selling this house is one......we're having serious problems with the IRS again and I'm almost on the edge of sheer panic attacks regarding THAT, and just leaving a place where I've more than put roots down is hard. I finally got both my son's in the same area.........something that some would question. I am a very family type person and when my youngest was in Louisiana for those 7 years, and unable to visit like he wanted to and we were denied visits by his wife to see our grand daughters, it was hard on me then. I finally got him up here when he settled his marriage problems and divorced. He's now back in Tennessee, we moved the oldest son back from Iowa, and despite that he's currently living with us temporarily until he gets on his feet, just having both my son's closer is a comfort to me.

Not to mention that I've settled here comfortably despite that I "garden on a steep slope" and may never clear the woods adequately.

On the UP side. I have in pots all over the place and have had for years, cactus and succulents that I've always adored. I have one Cereus cactus that resides in a pot that it and the pot weigh close to 200 pounds. It would finally be "home" were we to relocate, as the other prickly babies I have would love as well. Leaving the massive amounts of plants would be hard, but hardest of all would be having to leave the plants that I am endeared to. The dragon lilies. (The blue Enigma might make it there, not sure) The Frakartii asters I adore and love. The various assorted shrubs that bloom for me, and my hellebores. If I were to make a list of things I just COULDN'T leave behind it would have about 25 or 40 plants on the list, within reason. But if Squire did apply for the job and got it, it would be a no brainer.

Another pull at my heart is WNCW that I listen to 24-7. But it's online so that wouldn't be a problem my music is as much a part of me as my blood and mind.

Reply to
Madgardener

Mad: I've never liked moving & now that I own a house it's nice to believe I'll never again have to, & yet I do sometimes fantasize moving to a property big enough for me to start a collection of beech trees, beech trees all over the place, a whole forest of fancy-ass cultivars in all colors, a garden of TREES, ooo, ooo, let's sell our place right now & move to the middle of nowhere!

My partner sometimes talks about moving us to Idaho because she has family there, & we go there a lot. I find it is a lot less horrible to imagine having to leave here if I think about the sorts of things I could grow. There's much that grows here that I love that I'd have to give up because they'd be doomed in Idaho winters, but I would greatly look forward to collecting ladyslipper terrestrial orchids that I can't grow here because our winters are too mild for them to have their cold period, but would do great in an Idaho garden. I wonder if making a list of stuff ideal for southwest climates & picturing a future garden in your mind wouldn't take the awful edge off the upset of having to make such a major change.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

The message from "Madgardener" contains these words:

Okay, well stop there and calm down a bit; you've got MUCH MORE than

24 hours to make a decision.

Is it likely he's the *only* well qualified applicant?. I don't know how jobs are going in the USA, but in the UK adverts often attract hundreds of applicants. They won't all be suitable but they all have to be looked at. Sorting the wheat from the chaff, arranging interviews, shortlisting and final decision, takes several weeks minimum. Even when a verbal offer goes out to the chosen applicant, sorting out the details of the contract can take another week or two. Even then, nothing is cut and dried till both sides sign the contract. Sometimes, after taking a look round, meeting the people, or whatever, successful applicants withdraw.

All you need say now is "Go ahead and apply, but let's not make the final decision yet".You've got plenty of time to talk to him, think it over, research it, buy a sub to local newspapers, go look at the place together (if he goes for interview) etc. Then trust that your long close bond will almost certainly help you both make the same choice.

HTH

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Reply to
Madgardener

"Janet Baraclough"

Reply to
Madgardener

That's what I was thinking too. Yes you have deep roots and a love for where you're at now, but, think of the new possibilities in gardening in a new climate with new animals and plants to fall in love with :-)

I wouldn't like to leave New England, so I can understand your pain when it comes to thinking about a move - but what new, wondrous life forms await in NM?

((hugs)) ~LeeAnne

Reply to
LeeAnne

It's a great place. Clean, nice weather, cool winters (apples and tulips), summer monsoons. Ethnically diverse. Beautiful.

Buy the Sunset Western Garden Book and find out what the zones are, because you may read the zone descriptions and decide you want to live in a particular situation. Forget the USDA zones, because they're worthless. I don't know how anyone can use them, to be honest.

Mary, Zones 11 and 13

Reply to
Mary Shafer

Folks use them because plants are not sold with Sunset hardiness zone indicators and the zone information provided in the Sunset books is woefully incorrect.

Reply to
Pam - gardengal

Really? I've never had a problem with the zone information. They're a little conservative, I know, but some of that is the microclimate problem. And plants aren't sold with USDA zone indicators either.

Minimum temperature is just not enough information. Even AHS says so implicitly, with their additional zone system. If you use minimum temperature, Palm Desert and, let's see, San Francisco, maybe, are in the same zone, 30 degF. I don't think so.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Shafer