Question (I need this answer seriously as soon as possible)

Page 1 of 2
I need to know what Albuquerque, New Mexico is like. Climate. Cost of living. Cost of houses. Sizes of yards. Restrictions. Crime. What zone it's considered. A good site that is idiot proof that might take me to these questions. What groceries average. This is extremely important to me and before ya'll tell me to go to a website. ..... the ones I've found are extensive, it takes forever to download these sites of some of them (I have dial up connection and I need a dead ringer site that would be simple with answers to these questions) unless there is someone out there in the newsgroup that can answer me because they live there................. madgardener serious about these inquiries (don't ask, just help me, please)
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:51:11 -0400, "Madgardener"

I suggest that you put your topic in the subject line if you expect answers. No one cares that you have a "question" and "need answer seriously" but if you state your problem in the subject line you may get serious answers. And then again, maybe not.
John

That might be good advice for no-account-nabobs, but just about everyone here opens ALL Madgardener's posts no matter what the subject header, as they're often such lovely posts.
I dunno what the ng is like, at a glance it doesn't look super active, but I suspect answers could be obtained from the ng alt.culture.us.southwest
I've friends in Albuquerque who regard it an affordable mecca for oddball artists who couldn't possibly afford Santa Fe.
-paghat the ratgirl
thank you Paggers. That response actually stung me a bit. I feel honored that you regard my posts at least openable, somewhat readable and above all, I welcome criticizing. Apparently this guy just wants to chew on me for now putting the OT and the question in the header. (there's nothing like partner dropping bombs of this nature onto someone who had finally come to terms with where they were and about to "hunker down and get serious" and then the curve comes outa nowhere to reconsider) I am still numb to the suggestion. But I appreciate you're imput and will punch in your suggestion. (Squire is downstairs on his computer looking at real estate pictures......gulp) madgardener grateful for the kindness and love of her gardening friends out there

Excuse me, John. Marilyn has been posting here for about ten years with the rest of a broad spectrum of people, who have also been here for at least ten years or so. I care. Many others care. In these cases, it would best be to speak for yourself as this has become a community of friends, online. Some like to fight with one another, some laugh at one another, some hate, love, like, dislike.
I am not counted in your "no one cares..." faction.
As a matter of fact, seeing it was Marilyn who was asking made me open the post that much faster. She never asks for much of anything, so I took this as a sort of distress signal.
Victoria
I have been to Albuquerque only once and loved the place. Its a college town and a very friendly place. It does get cold there in winter but its much dryer that its equivalent zone further east.
I would suggest you do a google search to find out all you want to know about Albuquerque. There is no way you are going to find all the answers to the kind of questions you are asking on a single website.

thank you Cereoid. I also called Zhan and she gave me a huge imput concerning this subject. (I filled in way more details with her and she's my beloved Zennie and I treasure her opinions) I will have to deal with all this and give Squire an answer in the next 24 hours..............yes, 24 hours. I might not be living in the foothills of the Smokies for much longer despite my having felt as if I'd found my other home. ahhh well, I will keep ya'll posted if yer interested. I won't bother people with the details, only if and when this happens. If it does, it was meant to be. If it doesn't, I won't bother ya'll with it further. Thanks for your kindness as well.
madgardener slipping back into the bushes now to quell the rising panic of a 50 year old woman possibly facing yet another cross country move with six cats, two dogs, and various houseplants and whatnot and whatever bulbs can take the climate if this happens. (we won't talk about all the woodland plants I have around here. They'd go to whomeverI see fit to pass on to if it happens. I would never leave it behind for someone to destroy.)

opined:

We've only been to Albuquerque once, but it was a beautiful city, flanked by majestic mountain ranges and seems to be buzzing with people and students. We didn't look much at the real estate there, but at Santa Fe and Taos, and, well, WOW is all I'll say. Those two were very expensive, but magnificent and had an incredible spirit about the place.
I think Albuquerque would be a more affordable place and more mainstream, as artsy goes, but you can go to www.realtor.com and I believe you can order relocation packages which will outline many different things about the city. Do a search on the city's website...wait, I'll be right back...try here:
http://www.cabq.gov /
It may load a bit easier than other glittery sites. Go to your local Barnes and Noble and see if they sell the Sunday paper from that city. Most larger book stores do.
It's got a flatness to the landscape, but with inclines and mountains. I can't explain it, but the place has the most beautiful pinon trees on the planet and a culture all its own. Much of that culture is based on rich Indian presence, but if you have to move there, you will adore it. I believe it is in zone 6b, but I could be very wrong. Very hot summers, dry, and COLD winters with snow. Probably what you have now, but dry.
So, what's going on. Did you think nobody would ask?
no, I didn't think anyone would ask, it's kinda a shock to me at the moment. Squire came home from the trucking school today and handed me this print out from TVI that read as if it were his resume. If I give him the word, he'll apply for this position and it will mean relocating from Eastern Tennessee (where I've been for the last eleven years, and where a large piece of my heart is I'm afraid) Yes, I love him and I would never hold him back from a good thing. And this would be a good thing. I just see all the "mountainous problems" that lie ahead of us instead of just "packing up and moving out there if he gets the job". It aint' that easy anymore. (that's what we did when we first met each other. We acted on whim's and somehow we always pulled it out. But now I am not as quick to say "SURE, lets do it!" I trust him, and I love him with all my heart, and it's not that at all. Nor is it gardening in a totally different place. It's alot of things that for the first time since ya'll have known me I am not wanting to talk about so freely (WOW, me NOT talking openly? somethings wrong there <g>) If I hold him back I can never live with myself. And I am a firm believer that everything happens for reasons. Case in point..........how unlikely is it that a Nashville grown little hippie Tennessee girl, met a Michigan born and raised former Marine in Aurora, Colorado thru a sweet angel of a lady by the name of Michelle? It was meant to be. Same as it was meant to be for us to move HERE. sigh.............................more soul searching. I will holler at youse later. ((((hug)))) thanks for being there V. Maddie

snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net says...

Your reluctance is easy to understand Maddie. You've been there eleven years and you've sunk deep roots. Uprooting them is going to hurt. On the other hand, if you go, you get to put down new roots < when pot bound, root prune and get a bigger pot >, try out xeriscaping and put that Western Sunset Garden Book to use.
    Good Luck in either case,
        Bill
thanks Bill for the supportive words. I will keep my gardening friends abreast of the situations when they become clearer. madgardener

Mad: I've never liked moving & now that I own a house it's nice to believe I'll never again have to, & yet I do sometimes fantasize moving to a property big enough for me to start a collection of beech trees, beech trees all over the place, a whole forest of fancy-ass cultivars in all colors, a garden of TREES, ooo, ooo, let's sell our place right now & move to the middle of nowhere!
My partner sometimes talks about moving us to Idaho because she has family there, & we go there a lot. I find it is a lot less horrible to imagine having to leave here if I think about the sorts of things I could grow. There's much that grows here that I love that I'd have to give up because they'd be doomed in Idaho winters, but I would greatly look forward to collecting ladyslipper terrestrial orchids that I can't grow here because our winters are too mild for them to have their cold period, but would do great in an Idaho garden. I wonder if making a list of stuff ideal for southwest climates & picturing a future garden in your mind wouldn't take the awful edge off the upset of having to make such a major change.
-paghat the ratgirl
yes it would help................((((hug))) Maddie

That's what I was thinking too. Yes you have deep roots and a love for where you're at now, but, think of the new possibilities in gardening in a new climate with new animals and plants to fall in love with :-)
I wouldn't like to leave New England, so I can understand your pain when it comes to thinking about a move - but what new, wondrous life forms await in NM?
((hugs)) ~LeeAnne

Okay, well stop there and calm down a bit; you've got MUCH MORE than 24 hours to make a decision.
Is it likely he's the *only* well qualified applicant?. I don't know how jobs are going in the USA, but in the UK adverts often attract hundreds of applicants. They won't all be suitable but they all have to be looked at. Sorting the wheat from the chaff, arranging interviews, shortlisting and final decision, takes several weeks minimum. Even when a verbal offer goes out to the chosen applicant, sorting out the details of the contract can take another week or two. Even then, nothing is cut and dried till both sides sign the contract. Sometimes, after taking a look round, meeting the people, or whatever, successful applicants withdraw.
All you need say now is "Go ahead and apply, but let's not make the final decision yet".You've got plenty of time to talk to him, think it over, research it, buy a sub to local newspapers, go look at the place together (if he goes for interview) etc. Then trust that your long close bond will almost certainly help you both make the same choice.
HTH
Janet
"Janet Baraclough" < snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk <mailto: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.ukwrote in message <
[...]
You're right. and he's NOT the only person qualified. It's just spooky with the job qualifications. He has them ALL.........but he has to submit this before October 23rd, and even then the possibility that he doesn't have a B.A. would affect the outcome. I think his years hands on experience will have a lot to do with the final outcome. I will keep ya'll abreast of the situation, and I won't drag on about it. Either we'll do this, he'll get it and I will have to realign my thinking, or he won't and we'll move on to the next level. Either way, I'll try to bloom where I am planted..........<g>
all the best honey
Maddie thinking about having to move in all those cactus and succulents and tropicals before long because fall is fast slipping past us here. (I have about 200 in pots)
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:51:11 -0400, "Madgardener"

*(up to 1/03) 2004 Murder 33 35 54 8 Rape 239 219 293 20 Robbery 1,547 1,620 1295 112 Aggravated Assault 3,317 3,396 3250 243 Burglary 7,120 6,585 5452 530 Larceny 22,842 23,535 21,371 1627 Auto Theft 4,349 4,162 4050 386 Total Part I Crimes 39,447 39,552 35,765 2926 % Change from preceding year -4% 0% -10% not available Population** 448,607 448,607 448,607 Crime Rate*** 8,795 not available not available U.S. Average Crime Rate**** not available not available
"Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets, but humbler folk may circumvent this restriction if they know how. To plant a pine, for example, one need be neither god nor poet; one need only own a good shovel. By virtue of this curious loophole in the rules, any clodhopper may say: Let there be a tree--and there will be one"
Aldo Leopold
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:51:11 -0400, "Madgardener"

and http://albuquerque.areaconnect.com /
seems like it would be not to bad with dialup.
We've considered moving there, crime is higher per 100,000 than las vegas WOW. Some great places out in the country with far less crime.
the local police have a site that maps out crime areas....
"Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets, but humbler folk may circumvent this restriction if they know how. To plant a pine, for example, one need be neither god nor poet; one need only own a good shovel. By virtue of this curious loophole in the rules, any clodhopper may say: Let there be a tree--and there will be one"
Aldo Leopold
Madgardener, a gardener probably adapts BETTER to new places than others do. There's the excitement of seeing new plants, of seeing how old friend plants do in a new environment, of experimenting, of meeting gardeners in nurseries and making friends that way. New Mexico is famous for the quality of its light and skies - hence all the artists who have settled there. The extremes of climate are more than you get in the smokies - but the humidity is much less all year round. The mountains would never be obscured by rain, fog, mist, or haze. All sorts of prairie wildflowers would do brilliantly there - cosmos, rudbeckia, echinacea, mexican hat, poppies, evening primrose, etc. Perennial such as peonies, and lilacs would do great. Roses would thrive forever with no black spot or powdered mildew. You would probably need to create a little sheltered microclimate area in your garden to grow juicy leaved plants that need a lot of moisture. Some may not grow there happily no matter what you do. Most bulbs would do very well there - they'd love to dry out in summer, as long as they got winter rain and snow (or the equivalent out of the garden hose) . All that being said, there is a heartbreak in leaving the canvas you have painted on for 11 years - but if it comes to pass, take a lot of pictures and video so that you can go back there in your dreams whenever you want.....Good luck to you in a difficult terrifying decision time

Albuquerque is a pretty nice place. You can get some snow in the winter and it can get pretty hot in the summer. Lots of sun. I lived in New Mexico (Cloudcroft) for a few years. While I lived about 200 miles south of Albuquerque I was at an elevation just a bit higher so we got more snow. Albuquerque is sort of in the foothills of the Sandia mountains. The north side of town is in the hills more than the south side which is more deserty.
Shell