Plant Identification ?

One day soon I will find another camera.

plant is standing about 3 to 4' high. The main stem is about 1/2" (or slightly bigger) in diameter at the base.

The main stem has white fuzz all the way up. The leaves at the top look somewhat like blades of grass.

Jim Carlock

One day soon I will find another camera.

plant is standing about 3 to 4' high. The main stem is about 1/2" (or slightly bigger) in diameter at the base.

The main stem has white fuzz all the way up. The leaves at the top look somewhat like blades of grass.

Jim Carlock

Could be cosmos, the common orange wildflower.

escapee

Nope. It's a weed. I know I've seen it and pulled it up, but I don't remember what it is. Why aren't there any good weed ID sites? Va Tech has one, but it's only for grass-type weeds and takes *forever* to use, as all the pictures are way under-compressed.

Reply to
Frogleg

Yeah, I've got a good feeling it's a weed. I didn't plant, it just popped up one day and I decided to let it grow thinking it would stop at 1 foot, but it's up to 42" now. No buds or flowers. It looks like one of those things where if you ever did see it, as in walking through a bunch of brush or a high grassy area, you'd likely just walk on it and crush it without ever knowing about it. :-) I probably have seen it on one of the grassy knolls at the beach here in the Tampa Bay at one point or another.

Reply to
Jim Carlock

"Jim Carlock" wrote in news:2ds2d.33794$Of3.17936 @tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

It looks familiar to me. Has it flowered? That would be helpful diagnostically. My first thought is groundsel (Senecio sp.), some species look quite a bit like this. Second thought is something in the Goosefoot family (Chenopodiaceae), can't remember what though. (Reference books not handy.) Another thought is scentless chamomile.

Reply to
Alfred Falk

No flowers. It's about 5 feet tall now. Most of the leaves look like grass growing off the branches. Someone said fennel, and it's possible I guess, except the main trunk is covered in white hairs. The main stem starts out as green where it enters the ground. About 5 inches up it starts to turn into a redish color. It continues to be deep reddish for another 12 inches then turns green again.

The base has a different looking leaf than everything above it.

leaves above the base look just like very thin blades of common lawn grass.

I looked over the chamomile pics and I can't find one that resembles it. I looked through quite a few things... to no success. The groundsel doesn't seem to qualify. I can't seem to find a goosefoot that qualifies.

Is there a name for the white hairs that grow up the main stem?

It has one and only one main trunk. It is currently 5 feet tall. If looking down upon it the diameter of the branches is maybe 12 inches at most from one tip to another. The branches grow outward in all directions. The stems of the branches are all green. The leaves on the branches look a lot like common thin young lawn grass.

It just started growing in a pot that had an azalelia in it. The azalelia died and in some of the pics, you'll see the dead azalelia branches.

pics above show the grassy looking leaves.

Reply to
Jim Carlock

maxsilverstar

for some more info on it.

Reply to
Jim Carlock

It does resemble this creature from the Chenopodiaceae family. Here's some pics:

Pen