Plant Identification

Please can you help me?

I have recently moved into a new house and there is a large bush / tree in the corner but I do not know what it is.

This is the link to the flower on the plant (which is in bloom at present)

anyone can help me I would be most greatful?

Yours,

Daniel

Reply to
southpark

Where are you located? And can you possibly post a photo of the entire plant? The leaves look quite a bit like Ribes but the flowers are not quite right :-) At least, not from that angle and in that context.

Reply to
gardengal

Are you on the west coast? Then probably Ribes speciosum

Reply to
Garrapata

Sorry I can not. Interesting flowers along the nodes with a cluster of flowers on top of the stem with strawberry-like leaves. The five pedal deep rose-colored flowers have a nice contrast with cream color centers. The flowers should be your key to ID, but I'd like to see the entire plant.

When I moved in it was new construction and the builder decided to keep the 200 native trees on the lot. To this day, I'm not sure if I have a "hackberry tree" or not. It has grown and produces a feast for migrating birds with loads of dark berries. I think it is a bush but I've trimmed it to a tree.

Reply to
Phisherman

It looks much like the pink flowering currant, a variety of red flowering currant, Ribes sanguineum. It is not Ribes speciosusm, fuchsia flowered currant, which has tiny red "bells" that hang down like tiny fuchsias. Which also has numerous, very viciious thorns/ prickles. Emilie NorCal

Reply to
mleblanca

You're right, it is sanguineum not speciosum, I always get them mixed up. (grumble) I even have one blooming in my yard

Reply to
Garrapata

Well, actually I'm sorta/kinda half right! Ribes speciosum is Fuchsia-flowered _gooseberry_- with all those prickles it's not a currant. So you needn't feel grumbly about getting things mixed up....Ha I have one in my front dry yard and it's really blooming great this year.

BTW Garrapata State Beach is one of the most beautiful places on the West Coast!

Emilie the GOOSEBERRY in Nor Cal

Reply to
mleblanca

Hello,

Thanks for all the replies I will take a photo of the whole bush / tree as it stands about 10 feet tall and put it on asap.

Thanks again.

Daniel.

Reply to
southpark