Perilla name.

Does anybody knows if the name "Coleus of Labiate family" is another name for the Perilla plant?. thanks. beni.
What's wrong with you? I already said it wasn't.
There is no such thing as Coleus Labiate.
Coleus is now synonymous with Plectranthus.
Plectranthus is not the same as Perilla.
Labiate is the family Lamiaceae.
Perilla is used as sushi wrap too.
Despite the name, Perilla frutescens is an annual not a bush.

On 10 Nov 2004 21:57:32 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@elisra.com (beni kafe) opined:

You are thinking of this ornamental perilla: http://www.simplybeautifulgardens.com/plant_pages/perilla.htm
Ah Ha!!!
Yet another Plant Identification Psychic is in our midst!!!
Which plant am I thinking of?
(beni kafe) opined:

Oh hush up big mouth! I figured it was the plant this person was talking about because of its variegation and how it does resemble coleus in that way.
The plant you are thinking of probably of the rolled version.
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:21:00 GMT, "Cereus-validus..."

Sure Perilla resembles Plectranthus (Coleus) in several ways, particularly the arrangement of the stamens. The two genera are actually in the same tribe within the family.
(beni kafe) opined:

Yes, mine is beginning to flower now. I wonder if it will come true from seed. I know the more common perilla which is ordinary does come true from seed, but this ornamental version, not so sure.
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:45:34 GMT, "Cereus-validus..."

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:21:00 GMT, "Cereus-validus..."

Awwww.... C'mon Steve!!
You know your stuff but at least be civil to your friends!!!
Geoff
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:26:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@leavethisout.blueyonder.co.uk opined:

I do believe he was joking with me...If you think that was uncivil, you haven't paid attention, Geoff! LOL