Norway Maple - Northern California

Page 3 of 3

In the Norway Maple's case, it seeds itself prolifically, and the seedlings grow voraciously, shading out any of the native tree seedlings. They do make great shade trees if you're a self-centered human like someone else in this thread, but if you care a bit about the environment you won't grow them.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Hi Myrl Nice to hear from you again. Here is what Sunset Western Garden Book says about Norway Maple: "Once a widely recommended street tree but now strogly objected to because of voracious roots, sel sown seedlings, and aphid caused honeydew deip and sooty mold." 50 to 60 feet tall!!
I have a Trident Maple, which has very good color, and gets about 25-30 feet tall. It does not produce seedlings, and seems (so far) not to be susceptible to aphids. It's a very attractive tree. (I started it from a seed so it has taken a while to attain about 15-20 feet right now) Trident Maple is fairly popular here. Norways are not. I live north of you in Butte County so our climate is very similar.
It might be interesting to see what the Sac. Tree Group has to say anyway.
Good luck with your tree. Emilie NorCal

Emilie - Thank you so much for the suggestion. . .Yes, that looks like a really good candidate, and definitely worth considering!
By the way, I camped with my kids up at Black Buttes over Memorial Day weekend. Very beautiful and interesting area!
Myrl Jeffcoat http://www.myrljeffcoat.com