Can you identify this tree found in Northern California?

Can you identify this tree found in northern California?

are branches and flowers pulled off of the tree earlier today.

I think it might be a mulbury or hibiscus but can't seem to find the exact species since nither has those 5 stalks inside of the yellow flower and it isn't red anywhere.

Does this plant look familiar to you?

Reply to
LM

Looks like yellow mallow. Mallow isn't a tree, though, a shrub at best.

Reply to
dadiOH

I have no idea what it is, but I can tell you one thing it definitely is not: that doesn't even begin to resemble a mulberry.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Looks vaguely like a Tulip Poplar or "Tulip Tree" except for the number of stamen in the flower.

Reply to
Jeff The Drunk

Maybe this?

Botanical Name: Cassia leptophylla

Common Name(s): Gold Medallion Tree

Hell Toupee

No, it doesn't.

leaves are the wrong size. The leaves are the wrong shape. The flower is the wrong size. The flower is the wrong shape. The flower is the wrong color. The whole plant is the wrong size. The whole plant is the wrong shape.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Hi Hell, (Can I call you Hell?)

The yellow flowers look the closest I've seen so far but the leaves are unfortunately all wrong for the gold medallion tree. Drat. :(

I've been googling for hours trying to figure out what kind of tree this is. It's definitely not a bush; it's 30 feet high (that's some bush) but I just can't figure out what it is.

The next closest seems to be the hibiscus but I can't find a single hibiscus flower picture that looks like the one I'm trying to identify.

That's why I asked. I'm perplexed.

Reply to
LM

I agree the yellow mallow flower looks similar and at least the leaves are similar in that they're palmately veined.

But, as you noted, it's a shrub, not a 30-foot tall tree.

This is why I'm so confused.

Reply to
LM

Looking closer, I must agree with you.

We can strike mulberry and poplar off the list.

The best guess so far is "yellow mallow", "hibiscus", and the "Gold Medallion Tree" but none have both the leaves and the flowers shown in any Internet picture that looks similar.

That's why I'm so confused as to what this tree is.

Reply to
LM

Got it!

Fremontia, also called California Flannel Bush (Fremontodendron californicum)

't let the 'bush' part of the name mislead you, it also grows into a small (15-25 ft) ornamental tree.

Reply to
Hell Toupee

That's why I asked. The closest I can get was hibiscus (I now agree that mulberry is out). I did look up poplar (aka tulip), but nixed it on the basis of the leaves.

I snapped more picture of the whole plant (shrub/bush/tree?), in situ, today as it is near where I live. You can see that it's 25 to 30 feet tall but only about 4 inches thick at the trunk although it has many trunks (almost like a hugely tall bush).

The new pictures (of the whole shrug/tree/bush?) are posted here.

LM

How did you do that?

I've asked literally dozens of people and nobody could figure it out.

I couldn't figure it out!

How did you do that? The pictures you referenced are uncannily similar!

(note this ends with a slash!)

LM

the tree is fremontodendron-i have one in my garden in bedford uk

Reply to
tugboat

Everything grows bigger in Calif-for-nee-a :)

Reply to
dadiOH