Question for Northern California Woodworkers

Where can I find maple, birch, cherry woodetc. I am limited to Lowes and HD's oak and poplar. I live about 50 miles north of Sacramento towards Chico

Reply to
bdeditch

Google Claro Walnut California - there's an outfit up that way, could be grass valley, that specializes in claro but have other woods as well.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

And the stuff that HD and Lowes carry is expensive, too.

Here are two that I've gotten good stuff from, located in the Sacramento area (I live in Roseville):

1) Auburn Hardwoods in Auburn CA 2) Hughes Hardwoods in Rancho Cordova

Two more in the Santa Rosa area:

1) Mount Storm in Windsor, Ca 2) Evan Shively in Marshall CA

And if you want to go a little farther to the Bay Area, there are these:

1) Global Wood Source in San Jose CA 2) Exotic Hardwoods and Veneers in Oakland CA

Another possibility: Try a search for "hard maple lumber" or "Cherry Lumber" on Ebay--I've bought a LOT of wood on Ebay over the last four years--sometimes you can get some real bargains, and some really unusual stuff too.

Does that help?

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

Meeks in YC quit carrying hardwood? Compared to the bay area, cheap.

Place up north of YC on the route to Corning (and the Olive Pit) where they had a bunch of the local woods. Think it might have been Gridley.

Dad used to drive to Beale or Mather to pick up his hardwood. Sometimes the crews who flew it in would even deliver for the price of a few cherry boards.

Reply to
George

Steve wrote in news:123mktqn6j3gk63 @corp.supernews.com:

Isn't Aura Hardwoods still down in RC too? Hmm... web turns up as 2477 Mercantile in Rancho Cordova.

Kurt

Reply to
Carlin

Yes, they're still there, but I went there last month, and their selection of useful hardwoods was really poor. I went to the Aura in Stockton (or is is Modesto?) in November and that store had some nice Genuine Mahogany. But neither one had anywhere near the variety & quantity that Hughes and Auburn have.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
bdeditch

There's a Hugh's (sp?) Hardwood and Aura Hardwoods about 1/2 mile from each other on Ranch Cordova. I think there a Hugh's in Chico too. Go to Western Tools out by the fair grounds and ask for Kevin. He'll know. There is a guy in town that cuts and sells Walnut, too.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~