Advice on finishing alternatives needed

I'm contemplating building an "entertainment center" which will basically consist of a pair of tall bookshelf units (with lower doors, adjustable shelves), a rolling TV stand (with glass doors/adjustable shelves), and a "bridge" unit which will connect the two bbokshelves.

The room this is going into has planked natural walnut walls (diagonal tongue & groove), and I'm probably going to use birch for the system and attempt to stain/finish it to resemble walnut. Walnut is a little too pricey for this project, so the birch seemed to be a good alternative... something I can get readily at HD or Lowes in both plywood or solids. I also thought about cherry or maybe mahogany, but it was just a thought.

So the real question is what my finishing options might be, and I don't have a spray booth so everything has to be hand-applied whether it's wiped on or brushed on. Anyone want to offer some advice on readily available products that might fit the bill?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Reply to
drgrafix

.

Might want to think twice about using HD birch ply. The stuf we get here in MI is not cabinet grade (obviously, from Hopeless Depot). The paint grade (it's probably B) has repairs, imperfections, and some knots that will show through your finish. If you want a nice finished product, find at least "A" or even better "N" grade which is furniture/cabinet grade.

Where did you find a Hopeless Depot or Lowes that carries solid birch? In MI they only carry poplar, oak, and minimal maple.

Reply to
RemodGuy

I actually didn't check on the solids... but figured they would have them. Probably have to look around some more.

Any advice on the finishing products?

Reply to
drgrafix