MOLES

I have a mole invasion in my veggie garden... bought four Solar Sonic Spikes at Lowes... anyone have any experience with these: http://www.wrsweeney.com/mole_gopher_products.php?product=solar_spikes

I've got 4 of them too. Three resting in the garage for the last few years. They may provide some deterrence but here in sandy loam I guess a four or five square area is protected. Moles/voles hurt my hosta's under the snows last winter. I like to hear the whine of motor come on as it makes me feel good but I may be fooling myself. Got two cats, milky spore and Bonide MOLEMAX main ingredient castor oil. Castor oil plants add a tropical touch and I may grow them again. Also have a spurge plant that is said to deter the suckers. One cat by the way is a stray that I feed each morning but won't come near me but it is a mousier.
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/ephla.htm
Self seeds slowly and be sure avoid the sap as it is similar to Rue.
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

Yes, the packaging says the spikes don't work as well with sandy/dry soil. My soil is rich loam and is typically moist even during dry periods. I poked two in yesterday and am now waiting to see results, I'll know if my plants stop being eaten. The directions say it can take one or two weeks for results. I don't have any outdoor cats, I have five but they never go out... I think the mole population here is too great and spread over too much area for a cat or two to have any effect. And I don't want to put out poison. From the reviews I read some said they don't work at all and some say they had great results. I'm hoping.
I just read an article that garlic will do the trick. Find the mole's holes and stick garlic into all that you find. I can't say exactly how this works but according to the article, it does the trick.
Donna in WA

brooklyn1 wrote:

i have never used them, i find the Nash choker loop type trap works well when set correctly.
everything else over the years has been a huge waste of money and time (let see: drowning, moth balls, gassing, bubble gum, spiky traps, worm bait poison, flowers that rotate and rattle (vibration was supposed to deter), grub killer, stomping, cats, dogs, ...).
once you know a regular tunnel they run through it takes a few hours to a day before they are caught most of the time.
good luck,
songbird