Ground Beef Recall Expanded

Page 5 of 15

ct.net.au:

yeah, what Americans call sweet cider is fresh pressed apple juice, unfiltered. the fermented cider is called hard cider. American hard cider can be still or sparkling. if you add honey or sugar when making hard cider, you get cyser, which takes a long time to mellow, but is very nice after a year or more, like an apple wine. brewing leads one off in interesting directions... lee
In article

What do you do in the lab?
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

pH, total acidity, glucose-frutose, malic acid, potassium, nitrogen (protein), volatile acidity, and an awful lot of dishes.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

In article

And of course the ever popular alcohol and free and total SO2.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

In article

Food science? Cool. :-)
I do clinical work. Hospital lab.
What are the jobs like in your field?
Other than the current pay rate, I'm getting bored after 20 years.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

I can only speak to wineries but ice cream producers have labs too. The job really depends on the winery size. Small wineries pay the least but usually fairly lax working conditions that allow you to do things other than in the lab. Large wineries have large labs and bureaucracies, which means that you are payed well but micro-managed to death.
I've worked the harvest for the last five years. That's 4-5 months of work (two of which are overtime intensive). In Jan. I draw my unemployment and do some substitute teaching (secondary physical science credential). Otherwise I plan the garden and do a lot of cooking. I'm sure once I get too comfortable a permanent job will come along.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

In article

Heh! Before you talk "micro-management" try health care which is managed to death (literally sometimes) on several levels. It's almost like a chess game sometimes.

Sorry dear, but that sounds like fun. :-)
Once the morgage is paid off in 4 years.
If you don't mind, could you e-mail me more details?
Please?
That actually sounds interesting. I'm getting bored with Hospital politics.
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.
What Gina didnt say.... Taubes "cherry picked" his information. This is a SERIOUS when trying to prove the positive, but not when challenging "common knowledge". It was the exceptions to the theory the earth was at the center to the universe that brought that whole cockamamie theory crashing down.
It is bad bad bad when somebody has a conclusion already in mind and then goes looking for the bits and pieces that support their conclusion and ignore the bits that dont. This is what creationists do, it is also what opponents of global warming do.
It is a very fine line to wander trying to attack "common knowledge". It is best to start by carefully examining each paper for bias, who are the authors, who is putting up the money for the research, how well does the research follow the scientific methodology, etc.
It is good to look at the history of the causes of ulcers to see the natural history of a challenge to "common knowledge". It took a long time for the scientific and finally the medical community to accept that, yes, Virginia, bacteria does cause most ulcers. And this has been modified by the finding of a genetic trait that predisposes a big chunk of humans to the bacteria (type O blood group). Gone are the "stress", "diet", type A personality causes of ulcers. Only "aspirin etc." medications are another cause.
So while I laud Taubes for taking on the "common knowledge" I am sure no practicing scientist with their head screwed on tight would have done so unless they had a "death of their career wish". Did he go overboard? Yes, I am sure he did (I havent read the book yet). Do I go overboard when presenting stuff? Yeah, but I am an iconoclast and I "spout" to shake people up and make em question their preconceived ideas.
Mostly the average Japanese never had enough food much less highly refined food. Traditional Eskimos and those who live in the high north, who mostly eat protein and fat dont have heart disease either. Nor do the French, who slather fat on everything but eat small amounts of food period.
I am convinced there is something in the refined junk food, maybe allergies to grains, crap in all our food that is leading to either a suppressed or over challenged immune system that corrodes the insides of the arteries. Stress can do it too, as can chronic pain, autoimmunity, etc. Time will tell. Ingrid

Ok, but there it says eggs and dairy products which are animal in origin.
And FORTIFIED veggie products.
Where is the B-12 coming from? If it is being fortified from an animal source, one may as well continue being lacto-ova.
One can raise their own chickens free range, and just not have a rooster. Sterile eggs are not killing anything.

The myth that eating cholesterol laden foods raises serum cholesterol was proven to be untrue a long, long time ago.
Unfortunately, many sources are still hanging on to that.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
Omelet wrote:

I think its sort of like the opponents to stem cell research. Chicken eggs are meant to make little chickens. Eggs just for the sake of eggs is against Catholicism. '-)
Jangchub wrote: >>How are your vitamin B-12 levels?

What sources?

From my own biased opinion, this person (Jangchub) is a waste of time. For over a year she has been dying from or suffering from innumerable illnesses. Her whole point in being seems to be to attract attention and sympathy. 'Nuff said.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

The message

The majority of people reading this, will one day suffer a serious illness, and we're all going to die. I shan't consider my life wasted, whatever way it ends. YMMV.

Far longer.

YEARS before you dragged your home-made soapbox to this newsgroup and started preaching to all on how they should live, Jangchub was a regular gardening poster and experienced Mastergardener with a huge amount of horticultural knowledge freely shared, practising the earth-friendly approach.
What a newcomer apparently sees as attention-seeking or personal stuff, is no more than longterm members of the group catching up on each other's real-lives which we've followed for years.(She's not the only one).But even for new readers who don't know that group personal history, all gardeners will one day have their fun curtailed by physical changes and have to change how they garden. V's physical journey and experience, is relevant to all, and to the gardens we make.

You certainly have. Next time you're boring the pants off the group in your repetitive way , perhaps you'd care to edit your posts to remove the endlessly requoted irrelevances?
Janet

I've been posting ot this newsgroup since 1995 and I am not dying, I have hepatitis c which is causing me to have cirrhosis which will require a transplant eventually if we can't get the virus under control. Because YOU are relatively new around here doesn't mean I'm new. Hardly the case. What else do you perceive I'm dying from? What are these inumerable illnesses?

Jangchub.
Please take a look at some of Stammet's research on wood consuming mushrooms. It might be helpful.
His books are available on this website:
http://fungiperfecti.com /
Many appear to contain natural anti-viral properties.
Shitake mushroom is a good place to start and iirc, turkey tail is another. It's been awhile since I read his stuff... but they (him and his staff) also respond well to e-mails.
Hope this helps?
We may not always agree on everything, but I still like you. ;-)
A very good liver support herbal is Milk Thistle, widely available at the health food stores. It appears to help the liver to detox more easily. It's widely used (successfully) by alcoholics.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

I'm taggon on to Om's post - these are excellent suggestions. I think V has alreayd tried milk thistle, but I may be wrong....
I am taking a balanced B Complex that is 100% whole foods from Megafoods to see if it helps the thyroid condition I've developed (hyperactive). It seems to be working, along with soy lethecin capsules and a thyroid support supplement I found from a Canadian company. Long term stress can do nasty things to your thyroid as I have found out :o(
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Ann,
We talk about this off line? My doctor suspects some thyroid issues and I'm trying to educate myself.. C

Yeppers, just send me an e-mail - annbal*at*comcast*dot net.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 13:33:46 -0400, Cheryl Isaak

My SIL has hyperthyroid....I think. It may be hypo. She's a rail, is a yogini in perfect shape and she's been taking thyroid medication for years and till a few months ago she felt fine. Now she's exhausted again. Since she is only 45 and not really going through menapause yet, I think it may be something to do with her hormone levels. Too much estrogen or not enough. She was using topic progesterone and may have been using too much. They're trying to get her straightened out, but I know from talking to her how difficult this problem can be and how hard it is to regulate once out of wack. It can be done so just keep going...

V, tell her to be careful about soy. I think it triggered my episode. More here http://thyroid.about.com/cs/soyinfo/a/soy.htm . When I eliminated soy from my diet (soy milk every morning, lots of tofu meals, nevermind all the soy they put in everything nowadays) my symptoms abated. I'm not saying it's gone, but things are more under control. I'll find out more tomorrow.