Fence basics

I live in rural Utah. Extreme SW. We have all manner of critters around here, mainly, but not limited to rabbits, some deer, skunks, gophers, chipmunks, marmots, and a few others.
We are putting in the garden and I'm wondering about border wire. I have heard of "hog" wire, "chicken" wire, "horse" wire, and all sorts of wire. I "think" I want some that starts off with smaller squares toward the bottom, then larger as it goes up so as to keep out the small critters at the bottom, and the bigger ones higher up.
Is that what I need? What's the name. Garden wire? I'm sure they would steer me right at the feed store or Ace, or HD, but I thought I'd ask some seasoned gardeners here.
Thanks.
Steve

How about a fence of any size mesh with a dog or two who have access to your house.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
ICAO = KMIV Millville Weather

That's another story. I have a Pembroke Corgi and a Lab/Rott. They have areas enclosed by fencing where they have access, or denied access. The way they love to dig holes and sleep on damp ground, they will not have access to the garden areas. There are lots of other watered areas around the yard where they can dig a bed. The Lab/Rott has just discovered gophers, too, and I think she'd plow up a garden to get one of them.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

It is called "rabbit guard" fencing here, but I have been unable to find it taller then 4' at the stores, so you may need something else above it to stop the deer.
MikeB

7mm. Mauser.