Cost of geothermal heat per month in SW Ohio?

We live near Dayton and got a geothermal unit about 2 yrs ago (Carrier). We switched from propane heat and now have $400 electric bills in the winter. We get our electric from DP&L. I must admit, this seems like a big jump from $200 a month that we payed before. I don't know if electricity is just more expensive now. Is there anyone in this area that has geothermal? On average, how did it affect your electric bill?

Reply to
KC

Your propane furnace may have been 95% efficient, probably was less. The geo unit should be at least 300% efficient. So there is no way your heating bills should have doubled (or even increased). There is a website, epa.gov, or something like that, where you can download an excel spreadsheet that will allow you to compare the cost of various types of heat for a given number of BTUs. Also, what was your electric bill before? If it went from $300 to $400, then you substituted $100 in electricity for $200 in propane--a pretty good deal.

My best guess is that there is something wrong with your geo system. Maybe a pump running all the time, or a frozen field (not big enough), a kinked slinky tube, a valve partially closed. I hate to say this, but is there a filter that hasn't been changed?

Reply to
disqus_1UaB9KMYSv