Emerald Ash Borer ? ? ?

I live in Baltimore, and we're told that the emerald ash borer is now within

20 miles of the city.

The city has 300,000 ash trees -- and we have two of them -- both fully grown and in excellent health at the moment.

We're told there is no pesticide to kill these parasites, and infestation is always fatal.

I guess my question is, can we expect ALL ash trees in the city to be destroyed? Or what are the odds of death vs. survival of our two tree?

Reply to
Ray

always fatal.

The negatives: they have devastated Michigan ash trees and more. The positives: Ash wood is great for the fireplace and was free for the asking a few years ago. But the problem is once you notice your trees have it, it is too late and nothing can be done about it... That I know of.

However, their may be a preventative solution. I have wondered about trying some systemic tree treatments. Use of this product will cause many here to scream and I am not sure about just letting nature take it's course.

to protect trees from the ash bore insects. But this product takes time to work it's evil ways... I think, I could be wrong.

Reply to
Nad R

The negatives: they have devastated Michigan ash trees and more. The positives: Ash wood is great for the fireplace and was free for the asking a few years ago. But the problem is once you notice your trees have it, it is too late and nothing can be done about it... That I know of.

However, their may be a preventative solution. I have wondered about trying some systemic tree treatments. Use of this product will cause many here to scream and I am not sure about just letting nature take it's course.

to protect trees from the ash bore insects. But this product takes time to work it's evil ways... I think, I could be wrong.

Reply to
Ray

Not exactly true, there are treatments, but they involve insecticides and will have to be done every year without fail and are not practical for woodlots. One or two trees, you could probably manage.

Trunk injections are the 'safest' method, as opposed to soil drenches, which will also work but do so at the risk of ground and surface water contamination. (And soil drenches should NOT be used on sandy soils, as the insecticide is likely to leach away and not be taken up by in sufficient quantities by the tree.)

I guess my question is, can we expect ALL ash trees in the city to be

Untreated, they are going to die. I'm close to the epicenter of the emerald ash borer invasion. It hasn't been pretty.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz