Charcoal Ash

Good Morning All!

Is there any productive use of Charcoal Ash (from a BBQ Grill) in the garden.

Thanks,

Reply to
Tim

No. There are chemical and other additives in charcoal that I'm sure you wouldn't want leached into the soil. It's not safe even for the compost.

Even wood ash is not recommended unless you're looking to treat very acidic soil.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

Reply to
cloud dreamer

Well, wood ashes are a good source of potassium but it has the problems that you have listed above.

Reply to
Billy Rose

I've used wood ash as a potassium source for years in combination with blood and bone for nitrogen and phosphorus and seaweed for trace elements, plus compost. No problems for me and some of the major organic growers around here. The exception would be treated timber, but you shouldn't burn that anyway.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I used wood as my primary heat source for the past 15 years and have always spread the ashes on my garden ... then tilled them and the other additives in well in the spring. Always seem to be ok for me here.

Last year I switched to a corn stove .... did the same but tilling was harder as it seemed to clump together.

Any ideas on using the corn ashes in the garden?

Reply to
Him