fireplace ash

Is the ash from a wood-burning fireplace good for anything in the garden? or the compost heap?

Reply to
peta

If you have acid soil, and don't want it to be so acid, then yes, otherwise, no

Reply to
Charles

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Exceptionally valuable. These are the minerals that the trees' needed for growth and needs to be replaced in the soil. The burning lost nothing of value to future plants. Use the ash as a valuable fertiliser. Keep it dry to make spreading easy, or sprinkle on the compost. Best Wishes Brian.

Reply to
Brian

I burn tree wood out in my old BBQ and spread the ash around and till it into the desert dirt and it's not hurt anything.

Reply to
Starlord

"peta" wrote in news:sPduf.235$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Yes a good source of.....potash.

Reply to
Sean

Oh...I was burning the wrong thing then.

:)

Reply to
Koi-lo

avoid coal ash and wood that has been treated

rob

Reply to
George.com

Ashes are excellent for repelling snails and slugs. Use your ashe to create a protective circle around your plants. The snails won;t cross it.

Reply to
Marc