Electric Fence Recommendations

Page 2 of 2
Will this type of fence out woodchuckS?
Rich

Don't they eat bugs & slugs?

I though they were vegans. But even if they eat bugs [nothing eats slugs, do they?], they also enjoy cucumber vines, pepper plants, zucchini, beans, peas & most every other vegetable you might try to grow.
Jim

OK....so THAT'S why the varmint industry exists (rifles & ammo of certain types), and farmers make it a sport to assassinate woodchucks!

yeah, that & the big holes they dig in the pastures that livestock can break thier legs in... would you rather shoot the woodchuck or your prize filly? lee BTW, an electric fence won't keep a woodchuck out of the garden. they'll just tunnel under it. and geese will sometimes eat slugs...

I'd rather shoot the woodchuck, particularly since I have a recipe for them. And geese....I'd strangle them with my bare hands, if necessary. Any creature that makes turds which blend into the grass is pure evil.
where can i get a bullet proofs frence

That's why the lower strand is at 6 inches - to keep the smaller critters out. Haven't found anything to keep the squirrels out of the corn though.
Bob S.

Havahart traps? And/or: In James Crockett's book, he suggests covering the ears with paper bags after the silks have begun to brown. He says this will keep out crows. No idea if perhaps some variation on this might work with squirrels. Perhaps paper bags smeared with Elmer's glue and sprinkled with cayenne pepper?

When they have their goal set on fresh corn it's almost impossible to get them in a trap. Also, I average about 1000 corn stalks and that'll take a *lot* of bags. You would think that many would be enough to share with the squirrels, but the little hogs ruin much more than they actually eat. Coons used to be a problem but the electric fence has deterred them.

the
will
with
with
In that case, you need a stupid cat. Mine used to chase any squirrel that entered the yard, even though she once got ripped up pretty badly by one of the lawn rats. :-) She never wrestled one again, just chased them.
Doug Kanter said:
<< he suggests covering the ears with paper bags after the silks have begun to brown. He says this will keep out crows. No idea if perhaps some variation on this might work with squirrels >>
But you have to catch the little buggers before you can cover their ears with paper bags.
Dave http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
Bob S. said:

A fence with a small mesh that's topped with a couple of electric wires will keep out fox squirrels. Small heavy-duty paper bags will ward off birds. I've notice the local squirrels will always go over or under a fence in preference to going through it -- even the small red squirrels which you'd think should be able to slip through.
(Advice from experience: don't cheap out on the paper bags.)