electric fence?

recently my 2 black labs have found a way to climb over my fence, i have seen people cure this by simply putting a car battery & a wire around it. I don't have a clue how this works but would like to put one up for a week or so & train them not to. anyone have any advice or a link? thanks!

Rob

Reply to
longshot

I have never heard of an electric fence using 12 volts. I have a regular electric fence which is the only way I can keep my two Houdinis in the yard. I spent a bunch of money on a Radio Fence, which was pretty much wasted. After they touch the electric fence wire one time they will not come near it again--period. My late uncle had a fence company in Dallas years ago, and told me he used to put in electric fences, and lend the customer the charger for several days, then go pick it up afterwards, as it was no longer necessary. Check for any local regulations before you do anything first. The chargers are not expensive at all, you can either buy insulators, also inexpensive, or rig your own with pvc pipe/fittings to suit your needs. Pretty much any thin wire will work.If any busybody tells you that this is "animal cruelty", ask them if the little zap they get once or twice is worse than them being hit by a car, which is usually what eventually happens . Larry .

Reply to
lp13-30

neighbors wil;l complain.

probably better top put invisible fence just inside your fence. that should do it.

dogs sure are smart arent they:(

Reply to
hallerb

Oh man, go to you local farm supply and they can sell you what you need. I see electric fencing used more all the time for all type of pets and livestock.

Go to this site if you want the best. They also offer phone consultation for free, highly recommended.

Lawrence

Actually, if they're hit by a car, it means it's less likely that your neighbors will step in dog shit and have to clean it off their floors, shoes and car mats, something dog owners don't care about. Let 'em roam. Clean up the neighborhood faster.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You can get cheap electric fence materials at any Home Depot.....in the electrical dept btw.

Reply to
curmudgeon

I use a electric fence designed for pets.

I guess it's a watered down version of a cattle fence but it will still curl your hair.

These types really are the safest for your pets.

They use high voltage but low amps.

It's like getting all the fire but without the heat.

I think I paid less than $40 for it.

Reply to
greg6755

at a farm store?? i don't even know where to look...

Reply to
longshot

Begin by calling a some real garden centers. Most won't carry the stuff, but eventually, you'll find someone who can recommend a local store. Also, see if you have one of these stores in your area:

They have LOTS of electric fence supplies. Interesting stores, too. Explore, and you'll figure out why it helps to be rich if you want to own a horse. So many accessories! Almost as expensive as owning a boat. :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

i checked ebay... is this what i want?

longshot

I don't know - I was just recommending the store. And, I would *NOT* buy this sort of thing online, since you may need local advice if there are any issues, and it's nasty to walk into a local dealer for help with something you bought elsewhere.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

No, that will not work.

You need a car battery, wire, AND A FENCE CHARGER. Or you can skip the car battery and get a fence charge that works off of 115ac.

You need about 5,000 volts, not 12 volts.

I've got one around my yard to keep my dogs from digging out. Ouch.

Reply to
Deke

That fence charger on EBay is good for 25 miles of fence. I have no idea how big your yard is, but most likely MUCH smaller than that. Home Depot has smaller ones for less than that one is, not even counting the shipping. Not sure about Lowes or WalMart. Hardware stores, especially those in rural areas may also have them. There is nothing to installing one-- about all you have to watch is that the wire is not grounded. Anong other things , that can burn out the charger. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

Take a look at ebay auction 140092476531 -- but don't bid too much because the shipping is really high. That one gives you a very good battery powered charger *and* a plug-in charger. Use the battery-powered one for temporary fencing.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Yes. You also need wire, conductors, tensioners, etc. Yu can design this fence any way you want once you understand your needs. There are lots of options of course, if you are in the United States.

Below ground fences for dogs are out of favor. Above ground fencing works very well and is identical to the fencing used to control livestock. Existing fence posts can be used or new ones if desired. You can have as many or as few wires as desired.

Anyplace that sells livestock feed can help you. In my area that means the farmers co-op or the Fleet Farm. Check the yellow pages. Fencing is a well established technology and any salesperson should be able to help you. Please use the link I previously posted.

Reply to
Lawrence

I have had fantastic luck buying fencing supplies online. Customer service is unbelievable at Premier Fence (Iowa). They have toll free fence consultants who have nothing better to do than help yu design the fence that fills your needs whether you buy or not. RECOMMENDED

The local guys are hicks who sell one line and don't know anything else. There are many, many, supplies available online that are not available at my local store. Again:

Lawrence

You should set up an electric fence to fry your neighbors. heh heh heh

Reply to
Chirac

One last bit of advice: Do not pee on an electric fence. Urine is a conductor.

A very good conductor.

You will instantly end up on your back, peeing toward the moon and howling in such a terrible fashion than neighbors will herd the women and children into the family room, call 911, and start praying out loud.

Reply to
HeyBub

You can buy electric cattle fences, powered by a small solar panel. We have one around our vegetable garden and it has been working for over

10 years.
Reply to
Phisherman

There's a third part required in addition to the battery and fence wire. That's a control device that takes the voltage from the battery and converts it into a low power high voltage pulse that the dogs will feel. You need the control made for the purpose to avoid possibly electrocuting your animals.

TKM

Reply to
TKM