Strange kitchen tap leak

Hello all,

In my kitchen, the cold water handle leaks. This isn't the strange part. What is strange is when I turn the hot water handle, the cold water handle leaks! I turned off the cold water valve and the cold water handle stilled leaked.

I'm found a lot of online resources for repairing a leak, but not a leak at the opposite handle. Anyone know what could be causing the cold water handle to leak when the hot water handle is turned? The kitchen faucet is a plain chrome "WAGNER" faucet.

Thanks.

Reply to
Chris

Both need to be repaired.

When you turn the hot water on, water goes back towards the cold handle causing the leak. I'm not familiar with that brand, but get whatever repair kit is needed and replace both sides.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I was mistaken, the brand is WALTEC. I'll make a trip to the local hardware store and see what I can find. Thanks.

Reply to
Chris

Don't waste your time on repairs. Few stores will have repair parts for off brand plumbing. Get a new faucet set at any box store and new supply lines while you're at it. Odds are this what you will wind up doing anyway. Best are Kohler, Delta, Moen. Peerless is so-so. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Thanks for the tip Joe. I don't like the current faucet and was thinking of changing it. I just didn't know if a new faucet would come with the valve parts or if I would need to repair them first. From what you say, it does. I'm heading out to the hardware store and see what I can find.

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Once I was at the hardware store, I couldn't resist the temptation to try to repair the faucet. I'm trying to learn to do some of the minor repairs myself :)

Well, Joe, turns out you were right. I did find a Moen repair kit for a Waltec

for $3 CDN. I bought the repair kit and two stem valves (hot and cold) ($8 each), but I guess the model of my faucet is too old. Neither the washers, o-rings, etc fit on the existing stem valves nor did the stem valves actually fit. Looks like I will need to do as you recommended and replace the whole thing.

When I tried to replacing the stem valves, the threaded part couldn't make a connection to the housing because the washer was in the way. I guess with a new faucet, the housing will also be replaced or does that get replaced when I change the supply lines? Also, I have plastic piping for the supply lines. Is that good enough or should I get those bendable, mesh tubing? Sorry I'm not using the right terminology, I'm still very much a noob at home repair.

Thanks

Chris

Reply to
Chris

. I guess with a

Faucet sets commonly come with all the pieces you need for a neat assembly.There will be a top housing covering the valve bodies and outlet and underneath, the threaded input stubs will use large washers and retaining nuts...very straightforward. The flex lines can be mesh reinforced plastic or stainless steel braid reinforced. The latter are probably more reliable for hot water lines. On end of the flex line will connect directly to the faucet input stub. The other will usually have a fitting that screws onto a 1/2" male NPT. That may already be part of you plumbing inputs. Just be sure to buy the right length flex line. Too long is untidy and you already know what too short is. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe