Electric Chainsaw Recommendations

I am considering purchasing an electric chainsaw >£100. I have been looking at the RYOBI CS-1840 and Castor Hobby E160 electric chainsaw. It will be used to cut down oversized privets & bushes. Trunks about 6" in diameter. Which one should I go for or is there a better alternative to these two models. TIA

Reply to
BIGEYE

I can't speak for either of those models, but I have owned two electric chain saws.

The first one was a Black & Decker and it was rubbish. More to the point it was scarily dangerous.

The whole blade assembley was fixed to the plastic body by means of a metal plate whose screws fastened into the plastic. The net result was that when friction heats it up, the plastic softens and the whole cutting assembly starts tilting upwards.

I binned it and got a Bosch one which has the equivalent parts made from metal and fastened to metal. I've used it more and it's still as good as the day I got it.

Interestingly, I paid about the same ( appx £100 ) for each. Furthermore, the B&D one had a cutting chain which blunted very rapidly, while the Bosch one has never needed sharpening yet.

Reply to
Roly

Well my B&D (quite old now, maybe 10 years or so) has served (and is still serving) me well. Maybe it's old enough not to suffer from the 'screws in to plastic' problem. I still have the original chain and two others, I'm not convinced that I can tell the difference between the B&D chain and the others.

Reply to
usenet