Has anyone had experience with Echo chainsaw ?

I'm in need of purchasing a chain saw. Am having 3 large oaks trimmed and 3 large pines removed. The trunks of the pines will be hauled off but I must cut up/burn the limbs. I will also cut up the oak limbs and stack anything worth keeping for firewood. The rest I'll stack and burn with the pine. I also have some clearing to do here and there.

I've been looking into husqvarna and stihl, but then I noticed echo saws. Has anyone had any experience owning/using echo ? Trying to keep the price at 300 dollars.

TIA

Paul

Reply to
Paul J. Dudley

As for electric, I will be sawing too far from power supply. I will check in with local dealers for their advice as you mention. Not keen on buying second hand though. As for Poulan, my experience with Poulan products has been dismal. The last Poulan chainsaw I used wouldn't keep running. Hard to start and I spent more time tightening the chain than it was worth.

Paul

Reply to
Paul J. Dudley

Paul, I have a tree farm and have been using saws for about 35 years.

An Echo is a decent saw. As with any brand, Echo has the pro line and home line. Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, and a few others are all fine.

My question would be how much are you going to really use this saw. Do you really need a gas saw. It sounds as if you might be able to get away with a small electric saw just to do the trimming, cutting work you need done. Be a much cheaper, less of a hassle option. Just a suggestion.

If you do feel the need for a gas saw, it looks as if you will use it very, very little. If so, while I hate to say it, you might be able to get by with one of the "big box" saws such as a Poulan -- the type they sell at K-Mart, Home Depot, etc.

Not the greatest saws, and I wouldn't use one, but for what it sounds like, it might just fit your needs. Finally, if you have a saw shop in your area (and I assume you do since you mention Stihl), ask THEM what they suggest. AND, they might just have a used saw or two sitting around that they could sell you.

Local pawn shops are also an option, with this economy, many saws are ending up pawned. Only thing is I usually find pawn prices to be really high.

Reply to
tim birr

If you are going ahead with getting one of the big three, I would seriously suggest that you pick one with a servicing dealer near you

-- meaning don't buy an Echo if the closest servicing dealer is 90 miles away.

Stihl, Husky, Echo, Shindiwa, etc. are all fine. Personally, I prefer Husky, followed by Stihl, but nothing wrong with Echo. But, I have Echo, Stihl and Husky service shops all within 15 miles.

Reply to
tim birr

Thanks to all replies. I'm now looking into Husky. I have a Husky weed whacker ( 5 y.o.). Starts every time 1 - 3 pulls. Never stalls and has plenty of power to keep up with 3 acre even when I've let it all get ahead of me ( grass and weeds 3 ft tall at times... ). I forget the model off hand but it is the bottom of the commercial line ( 300 and some change ). I purchased the high end home model from Lowes and when I got it home the spool was missing. When I returned it they informed me it was the last one, but would I settle for the next model up for same price. I graciously accepted. It has lived up to the Husky reputation.

I am now looking into 235 e-series - 34.4 cc, 1.8 hp, 13"-16", 10.3 lbs at $199.95. From the reviews I've read this saw might be the one I need.

Any input ... ?

Paul

Reply to
Paul J. Dudley

I've bought one of their 20" professional models ( don't recall which one off-hand) a few years back to clear 1-1/2 acres of trees in the center of a

5 acre lot. It always starts easily, and runs strong and is a great saw. Get the longest bar you can afford - you'll be glad you did.
Reply to
v8z

Well, just got my bailey's catalog today in the mail. They are cutting prices on their Husky saws and offering free UPS shipping. You can step up a bit and get the 240-series 38CC 16" BAR & CHAIN for the same $200 at the moment. Step up to an 18-inch bar and it's $45 more. And, as I mentioned, shipping is free.

Bailey's is an old-time Northern California saw shop which has embraced the digital age. I think they have even opened up a distribution center on the East Coast.

Anyway, if you are interested, Google them.

Reply to
tim birr

Well, a PS -- I just started poking about the Web -- since I really don't know anything about the Husky homeowner line, and found that a few places sell the 240 for $260 -- and I found the 235 for $270. Free shipping....

They both appear nearly identical....except for the power. Think I would opt for the extra power....of course, I'm a bit reluctant to purchase a saw online....But for your purposes, I'd lean toward the MODEL 240 at 38CC for $260 with free ship.

Reply to
tim birr

Seems like one out three of my posts don't go through. Anyway, hope this is not a double....

I'm finding the 240 and the 235 much cheaper through a few other online places. Never ordered from them....and not sure I ever would order a saw online, but chainsawdirect (or is it chainsawsdirect) has the 240 for $260 and the $235 for $10 more....free ship, no tax. No experience with either of them, but they look almost the same....and the 240 has a few more cc.

Reply to
tim birr

Stihl

Reply to
Steve Barker

Well .... I changed my mind. I bought a Stihl 170 w/16" bar.

When the people showed up to work the above mentioned trees I noticed that all their equipment was Stihl. Even their leaf blower.

The first day I just watched and assisted in removing downed limbs and braches. They had various sized chain saws for all aspects of their work. All chain saws started first pull ( after initial warm up that is ). I could see how dependable they were. And they all cut without bogging down. And light weight - 9.somethin' pounds for the 170.

I always knew Stihl had a great name for quality products. After the first day watching these guys work, I went out the next day and researched Stihl. I went to a local shop and after talking with their mechanic I walked out with the Stihl 170 for $179.00 I took it to the work site to do some break-in "lite-duty" work trimming limb branches. Just like all the others, once the saw was warmed up on initial start up ( 2 pulls choked - then 1 to 2 pulls to start. After that, it fired up first pull every time.

After the break-in ( 3 gas/oil fills ) I started tearing up some of the larger limbs of oak for the fire wood pile. So far - no regrets. I feel confident in my change in plan and bought Stihl instead of Echo.

Thanks to all replies,

Paul

Reply to
Paul J. Dudley

Thanks Steve. Purchased a Stihl 170 16 inch for $179. So far ... GREAT SAW...!

Paul

Reply to
Paul J. Dudley

Stihl is said to be one of the top saws. I have one I'm going to repair when the parts come. It's an older model and is hard to get some of the parts for it.

I also have an Echo saw. It used to run quite well, but as with all these small engines, I dont use them often, and the next thing the carb is needing work. I intend to fix that Echo one of these days. I always liked it, since it was a nice small and compact saw.

I was told by a friend with an Echo weed whacker, that Echo is out of business. His carb was beyond repair on that whacker and they can not get carbs to sell anymore. But they do have the kits. I assume it's the same for my saw.

As far as this guys whacker, I bet he could mount another carb on it from a different brand. Then little carbs are all pretty much the same. I showed him my saw and he said the carb looks the same. Of course he wanted to buy it, but I told him I plan to fix the saw.

I've heard mixed opinions of the quality of Echo. I'd personally give it a thumbs up, except for the fact that you cant get parts anymore.

Reply to
jw