Electric Fence Recommendations

I'm about to start digging a new vegetable garden, and I'm sure the deer will arrive for a late night snack about 20 minutes after I'm done. So, I'm entertaining the though of running an electric fence around the plot. I'm interested in opinions from anyone who's either been satisfied with a specific brand or catalog offering, or totally disgusted (so I can avoid that one). Positive recommendations should refer to units sold in the U.S.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I can't recommend a specific brand, but be sure to get the electric fencing that is the inch or so wide plastic with wires running through it, not just single strand wire. We use a lot of electric fencing for our cattle, and the deer seem to have problems seeing plain wire and will run right through a fence. We hang plastic bags on the wire so the deer will see it and jump over instead of running through and tearing down the fence. It works, but doesn't look as nice as the wide fencing. That brings up another point - deer will jump over, crawl under, and slide through a fence, so you'll want to be sure to have strands high, low, and through the middle if you'll be planting deer delicacies.

HTH, Lisa M. Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be. - Grandma Moses

Reply to
Lisa M.

The first thing that you need to do is to check with the local (city or county) authorities to make sure that they are permitted in your area. When I stated checking around here I was amazed how many areas now prohibit them (even though the area is rural).

Reply to
Bill R

I have a Red Snap'r model 66 and I've been happy with it.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Oh swell. This is gonna be more intricate than I thought! I'd like to take the easy way out. I found out yesterday that I could probably get a variance for an 8 foot chain link fence, but they're so damned ugly.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I think they have motion detectors for gardens that kick on the garden hose to keep the critters away. If no water is available, maybe a jury rigged solution of something else connected to it.

Reply to
James

First of all, I understand animals quickly get used to being sprayed, and begin laughing at it. Second, I have no interest in spraying animals with a "solution of something else" which might harm them. Except dogs, of course.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Where deer pressure is high:

where deer pressure is lower:

Anonny Moose

> or where deer pressure is lower:

Also check this product if electric fencing isn't appropriate for your area:

Anonny Moose

My garden electric fence is over 10 years old and still works well. I had to replace the wire this year, but the solar plate and battery are still going strong. I bought it at a farmer's co-op. It is designed for cattle. About $100.

Reply to
Phisherman

I've ordered stuff from Kencove

use a Stafix charger. I use it with two hot strands on top of a 4 foot fence to keep racoons and groundhogs from going over. (We once saw deer right across the street but haven't had them in our yard, so far as I know.)

For deer you'd probably want more strands or even flat bands.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

To protect against rabbits and deer, go with the fence (wooden or rabbit fencing which "disappears" nicely when backed by shrubs) on the bottom and put the wires above. We havent done electric fencing around my mothers property because of the bitch next door who would probably run off screaming to the city so we used bird netting and laid down that green vinyl covered square open wire fencing on the outside. Deer dont like the feel of something coming up around their feet or legs. we bend it to have a curve and use "earth stakes" to keep it down in place. along the road deer were coming thru the fencing breaking it so we hammered in 10 foot conduit in an X in those spots and they have left the fence along there. it is very true that deer dont have 3D and are wary about jumping a double fence. Ingrid

snipped-for-privacy@someplace.net.net (Pat Kiewicz) wrote: . I use it with two hot strands on top of a 4 foot fence

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

Bill R said;

local (city or county) authorities to make sure that they are permitted in your area. When I stated checking around here I was amazed how many areas now prohibit them (even though the area is rural).>>

Interesting, and that is the very reason I didn't check the rules. Someone would have to come onto my property to know that I had one, and I figure it is no one's business.

As far as brands: I have a small unit K.9. Brand around my vegetable garten and a Big unit from TSC that protects a large flower and shade garden area. Contrary to what others have recommended, I use a single strand of wire at about 2.5 to 3 foot high (nose height). The deer have been leaving our stuff alone for about 2 years now. They do occasionaly crash through and nock down the fence and the next day, I just put it back up.

Dave

DavesVideo

neighbors who've been here for 20+ years say they've never seen deer during the hours when kids would be out playing and might approach the garden. So, I thought I'd probably put the electric fence on a timer. I understand that the fence is unlikely to harm a person, but tell that to a mommy. If I can point to a timer, all should be peaceful.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Doug Kanter said:

Reply to
DavesVideo

to learn. Given a choice between a 20 minute pointless conversation, and spending $20 on a timer, I'll go for the timer. :-)

Another example: When I got my pistol permit, my ex wife kept crabbing about "What if the gun goes off by itself?" (when my son's at my house). I told her the holster completely covered the trigger, and that the gun was in a locked metal box. "Well....if it goes off by itself, won't the bullet go through the box?" Told her it was unloaded when locked up. "What if you leave a round in the chamber". Told her "I check it twice, in case I'm tired". "Do

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Have you touched the fence, or assume it's like a static shock? My fencer zaps like touching the sparkplug on a mower or chain saw. Maybe worse. I don't run it very much of the time.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

My fencer zaps like touching the sparkplug on a mower or chain saw. >>

From time to time I touch it by accident. You are right, it is a bit more than a static shock, because that lasts for a tiny fraction of a second, while the fence is a sustained current. It still is not enough to do any harm, but I'm not sure if it could effect a pacemaker. I don't think any of the kids or deer for that matter have one. :-)

Dave

DavesVideo

"Doug Kanter" wrote in news:d3A2d.4221$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

the only way a properly installed electric fence could really hurt a person is if they had a mechanical pacemaker. we have electric stock fence on one minute pulse (i went 2 years before i got a shock & then it was because we had a faulty ground & the gate got charged. i was barefoot...). Tom hit the hot wire with his forehead bending over to pick up a rock & saw some pretty good stars & my 4 year old hit the fence with his umbrella Saturday. it scared him more than hurt. yeah, a timer should solve your nanny city problem though. lee

Reply to
enigma

I run 4 strands, 6", 2', 4', and 6'. Chargers come "continuous" or "pulsed". I use a pulsed one for safety reasons - the current is off long enough for you to get loose from it if needed. One of the old tricks is cutting strips of tin foil, clothes pinning them to the hot wire, and rubbing peanut butter on them. A deer or other animal needs only one shock to the tongue to learn to stay away. I have lots of deer on my property, but they have learned to stay out of the garden. Haven't had one in there in years now.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.