Basic insect spray

Hello- I am new here posting this week. I live in the near East Bay area of SF, and have a few little flying things that light on the new growth of my small leafed ivy, and fuschias, possibly other planst, and lay eggs. The spray I have is 99% water and 1% petroleum product, but cost a fortune! If there isn't something that's miles better, I'd just as soon mix my own. What'd be safe and what'd be harmful?

There are no pets nor children around.

Reply to
John McWilliams

I use an old windex bottle, fill with water and a dash of your favorite detergent and spritz away!

Betsy

Reply to
betsyb

What kind of insect is it? And other than laying eggs, is it harming anything? Why do you believe it needs to be eliminated?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If I knew its name or genus, I would have stated.

And other than laying eggs, is it harming anything?

Yes. Why do you believe it needs to be eliminated?

Because it's harming something.

Have you a recommendation other than I ignore it?

-- lsmft

Reply to
John McWilliams

You can use a soap spray and just a spray bottle.

Marc fruit-tree.com nursery Visit us at

motto: "Preservation by dissemination"

John McWilliams wrote:

Reply to
fruit-tree.com

All you said is "laying eggs". What else is the insect doing? And, while you're researching this, you may find that spraying with the hose will blast the eggs away.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You didn't say if these things are indoors or outdoors. In either case, based on the way you described it, it could either be gnats or aphids. With fungus gnats, especially with indoor plants, the easiest way to control them is to reduce the moisture on the surface of the soil, and in the tray below the pot, it's a bit harder to do this outside. But fungus gnats are more of a nuisance then a harm.

Aphids have wings, can fly about, though rare, the safest way to control them is dish soap + water +spray bottle. Also make sure you also control the ant population, since Argentina ants protect aphids from predators'. I've also been seeing a lot of grasshoppers lately in the south bay.

It sounds like you've been using horticultural oil, or dormant oil. Consider using something with a bit more oomph. If the last few days have been any indication, fall is coming soon, and most of the bugs will die or go dormant for the winter anyways.

-S

Reply to
Snooze

Hose is my first effort, light oil/detergent spray next. This is in small area, in hanging baskets on house. Not always easy to spray with hose everyday as baskets have to be moved to do so.

Should have also mentioned mites, or aphids as a possibility. Something is turning the new growth leaves very dark and somewhat shriveled. I have a tiny garden, virtually everything in pots or planters in a space no bigger than 2500 square feet, but it borders an uncultivated hillside, and lots of trees, esp. Eucalyptus, surrounding me.

Thanks for your patience.

Reply to
John McWilliams