Ash tree leaf drop

It is happening again. Like last spring, one of our ash trees buds out nicely, starts to leaf out but then the immature leafs start dropping off. It has happened before but not to the extent that it has the last two years. Last year, almost all the leaves fell off. In the past, some leaves dropped but not to a significant amount. Also, in previous years, the leafs would turn dark and roll up before dropping. Now, they just drop. Any ideas?
Where are you? Native or planted tree? Do you know the species? Are other ashes in the area similarly afflicted??
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

I live in Central Ohio, outside Columbus. I assume this was a planted tree since it isn't near as old as the house. The species is unknown and there is another ash within 10 yards of it that doesn't seem to have the problem.
Are there any tiny D-shaped holes in the trunk?
Marilyn

You don't say where you are, but is it possible that you have had a recent frost? Here in Denver our ash trees were just starting to leaf out when hit by frost. This has resulted in just what you have described. sed5555