Black Ash

Can someone tell me what it looks like? Now I have been to woodfinders.com and they do not list black ash, but do list blackwood from africa. Do not think this is that. This stuff after I ran it thru the planner looks like black walnut but has a tint of purple to it. It is not purple heart, as I have some of that. This stuff runs 8-10-11

1/2' wide. Picked up 41.8 bf of this and 39.4 bf of poplar all for $50. Popular is 12" wide also nice and clear. Came from ne ohio 15 yrs ago. Guy that owned it died and wife sold it. Al I know is it looks good and someone thought it was black ash. Any help will be appreciated.
Reply to
O D

it's not black ash for sure. black ash has grain very much like red oak but is very close grained grows mainly in the north of the upper midwest in the low swampy areas, very slow growing, average growth ring count here in northern minnesota is 18 rings per inch, color is sandy brown, average weight is approx 3 lbs per board ft. I have been exporting black ash veneer logs to asia for over 20 years and has been in demand there for it's simularity to a japanese ash called tamo. the wood your talking about could be black walnut with a tint of purple to it, depending on what part of the country and soil type it came from. ross

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

sorry i forgot, if you want to see what black ash looks like my site is

ross

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

'Tain't black...all the "black" refers to is the species of ash. _________________

It most likely *is* walnut. Freshly milled walnut often has a purplish cast which goes away shortly.

Reply to
dadiOH

It looks like the 1980s.

Ash is a ring-permeable hardwood, which means that you can dye the whole board jet black and it still has enough surface figure that it looks like "wood". It's also cheap and good for furniture making, or for veneering.

Anyone 40-ish will probably get The Screaming Horrors if they see it again.

If you want to make it yourself, just buy ash, make furniture out of it, then dye it black with any commercial dye stain. European or English ash is better quality than US.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It could be Padauk. It looks and works alot like walnut and can have a slight purple cast. BC

Reply to
bc