Subject Author Posted Replies

Solar landscape lights
A couple years ago, we installed solar landscape lights. Thanks to a fortuitous geographic location, they work relatively well (i.e., they light up well past midnight). My problem is that they're too...
23
23

Should I use dynamite?
Three years ago, I had to cut down a 30 year old olive tree. It was all burled and knurled at the foot of the truck. I must have sprayed the stump and the regularly appearing shoots with Roundup, at...
3
3

Fungus on live oak
We have had a lot of rain on the Gulf Coast in the past six weeks. My ancient live oaks have white bracket fungi on their bark. In addition I see a flat spreading white fungus on the bark and a spider...
4
4

Pampas Grass -
I have some Pampas Grass my back yard and I've noticed when I walk past it I can hear an occasional popping noise. Well yesterday we were on my back screened in porch and it sounded like popcorn...
13
13

Will the rosemary take over
I may have goofed, this is my first herb garden and I think I planted the wrong items next to each other. I have rosemary planted next to my lavender plants and it looks like the rosemary is going to...
11
11

Green sticky seeds
Gonna be a tough one to visualize I know, but I'm trying to figure out where my cat is picking up these things. Anyway, he's coming in with these BB sized green seeds(??) stuck to his fur that take...
7
7

Poison Ive and wells
I have quite a bit of poison ivy growing near my well. I was considering using an herbicide like Ortho or Roundup but I'm concerned about the chemical getting into my drinking water. Does anyone know...
12
12

Staking Trees
I find it upsetting that a internet search comes up with so many ways to stake a tree which does not reflect the tree as a growing and moving thing. When I say moving I better explain. Trees do not...

Deer prevention
I have a beautiful yard with lots of flowering plants. At least they start out that way until the deer come each night. Any suggestions for deer prevention that will not harm the plants or deer?
44
44

Using Fruit Drunken
Thought of Bill & Charlie. do this with Peaches and Strawberries. Makes a great gift . Bill who wonders if jalapeno peppers would work? http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Drunken%20fruitWe
8
8

Safe Mulch for Area with Artillery Fungus
Our lot was originally covered with deep chopped wood mulch which developed artillery fungus. We removed the mulch and that has eliminated the problem as far as spattering goes, but with no mulch on...
4
4

Is my dracaena (dracena) a lost cause? =(
Hi all. I've had a dracaena tree in my apartment for a couple years and it's been very happy. It sits near a big window and a sliding door and isn't in direct light. I usually water it once a week or...
4
4

Controlling curly top - how far?
Curly top virus took my 15 tomato plants. There are weeds in the neighborhood that look like mustard weed, which provides winter home for the leaf cutter insects that spread the virus to tomatoes in...

The Ants of Gaia
you are offended by language and or irreverency, ya' might wanna skip old Joe's essays. Great article(s) on the dangers/situations we are facing, and it does apply to our gardens......because they may...
4
4

Can I lime now?
I've been reading up on lime and one web site says to put lime down in fall and spring. I'm in the Atlanta area with a soil ph of 5.5. My yard is beautiful with expensive fescue sod that is 1.5 years...
11
11