Deer prevention

I have a beautiful yard with lots of flowering plants. At least they start out that way until the deer come each night. Any suggestions for deer prevention that will not harm the plants or deer?

Reply to
5508951home

Just a suggestion. I have no data on the product and I am not found of being a product pusher.

John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist
Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

at bottom of page:

symplastless

Their main web page is

John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist
Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

If you try the product John pointed out, please *DO* come back and report on its effectiveness. My own experience is that the deer get used to ANY gentle measures you may try. Eventually, you may have no choice but a fence or a gun.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

deer sausage.........yum!

Reply to
rachael simpson

A neighbor informed me today that one of his best friends is a cop who lives right around the corner. Theoretically, this cop may have a way of cancelling the police response to a gunshot report, if he knows about it ahead of time. I don't believe it, but there are 3 deer who think my tomato plants and daylillies are salads.....

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Waaaaaaaaahhhhahahah!

Charlie......setting up the lawn chair and fillin' the cooler.

Reply to
Charlie

I don't.

However, I may pay a visit to the town supervisor and discuss another idea. Every so often, in another part of town where there's a huge wooded park, they do a "controlled hunt", using "expert hunters" (fellas who wear long sleeve plaid flannel shirts with mismatched suspenders in summer) to thin the deer herd because nearby residents complain that their plants, trees and cars are being eaten. I live 6 blocks from an identical park area. Why not thin the herd here? We get our plants back (for a while), as well as a plaid parade.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Seriously, get a bow. It's quiet, short range, and the perfect solution.

Only do it during deer season, with the proper license (i.e. in the winter), and follow all the regulations.

The health benefits from the meat are great, it's much better than un- naturally raised meat.

Short of that, get a dog and an electric fence, if you have the temperament to go for walks and take care of a dog.

Reply to
Mike

Actually, it's legal in NY to kill *any* animal that's destroying crops or harassing your animals. A permit is required only if the animal in question is governed by hunting season rules. So, if it's a deer, you'd need a permit out of season. If a dog's digging in your garden or harassing your goats, no permit is needed.

The only question is whether it's legal and safe to use a firearm in certain places.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Hey...we love the plaids. They put on a great show. Last time my son and I went to the gun club (youth .22 rifle league), some kid made the mistake of asking a question about his rifle, and he was set upon by about a dozen plaids. All had multiple spare tires, mismatched suspenders, and flannel shirts. And, this is a city, not out in the sticks. It's like a uniform for these guys.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I have been trying to grow English ivy for several years. The deer keep clipping the ivy down to the ground, leaving bare soil that creates an erosion issue. I tried fox/human urine, blood meal, milorganite, Irish Spring, deer scram. Some say "Spider Lily" repels deer. A dog is effective. I found that bird netting around the ivy protects it and any ivy that attempts to grow outside the netting gets clipped off. Finally, some ivy is growing up large pine trees where the deer can not reach it.

Reply to
Phisherman

Phisherman expounded:

I hope you don't like those large pine trees, because they'll be dead sooner or later from the ivy.

Reply to
Ann

Doggone deer don't mind stepping all over what they don't try eating, nor finishing what they started munching on :(

We resorted to putting up a fence last year. I added poultry fence along the bottom this year to deal with the rabbits.

Now if we could just get some rain once in awhile. It seems it is always something...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I have several of these that I use to protect plants, bird feeders and hummingbird feeders from animals (both wild and domestic). I have been satisfied with the results and no one gets hurt (well - except for the pride of my kitty *wink*).

Cheryl Burleson Co. TX Zone 8b

Reply to
Cheryl Cato

I will get the MSDS on a product called deer fence. It does work very well.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

Its actually called liquid fence. I am not a product pusher. However I have a friend that uses it on his property with great success. The day lilies, rhodies and so on have been off limits for the deer once this is applied.

I would get a MSDS just to be on the safe side. I live in PA and deer are our state mammal. They have been pushed to no ends. As long as the liquid fence is safe, it is a common sense solution.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

Not according to our local cooperative extension. I already asked.

Reply to
Phisherman

Ann

Do you have the data that the ivy will kill a pine tree. I really know of no data to establish that as a fact. Sure it can block leaves and needles for photosynthesis. Other than that what are you talking about?

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

Mah grandpappy done said so, and that's alls I needs to know.

:-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom