Fungus on live oak

We have had a lot of rain on the Gulf Coast in the past six weeks. My ancient live oaks have white bracket fungi on their bark. In addition I see a flat spreading white fungus on the bark and a spider webby looking material on the bark. Are these serious problems? What are the therapies? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Donna Jablecki

I would have to see the tree.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

In fact without see the patient I can just suggest you look out for the following:

Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case Sensitive.

Troubles in the Rhizosphere

Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
up "Tree Planting"
Mulching -
Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning

Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
Farming and Related Problems
John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist
Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

Donna

It sounds like you have some dieback which may be the result of an injury of some type. A trunk wound from something like a flush cut. If the dieback is at the base of the trunk it could be woody root injury. I would rally have to see the tree.

Sincerely, John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist

Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless

I have the same thing. Have you discovered the cause? My infestation sprang up overnight and I have seen it on numerous trees in the area.

Reply to
mcastrejana