Whippoorwill peas

Which are a cousin of the Humble Southern Staple Black Eyed Peas , are on the menu for tonight . Taste pretty good ... These are from the garden , grown from seeds acquired at the Ozark Seed Swap last May . I don't recall if I posted a follow-up to the Red Ripper thread , but they were very good too . Both varieties will be on my list for next year !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Until just a few months ago I didn't realize how many varieties there are out there . Puzzles me that the only ones you see on the grocery shelf are black eyes when there are so many much tastier options . I'm hoping to find some others next year at the seed swap .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Terry Coombs wrote: ...

when it comes to beans there are many varieties. the types you are talking about take a fairly long season and so that means the growing region is going to be smaller with fewer producers.

each bean variety that is mass marketed would need it's own packaging and if the size is different enough from other beans that also means special equipment to plant/harvest/clean/sort/store etc. and not all varieties grow out well enough and have the right characteristics for mass planting or harvesting (some types shell too easily and others are very difficult, some rot easily, some don't grow well in poorer soil or won't grow at all in clay, etc.)

i don't think there's a huge amount of money in growing beans and i'd say from what i see that there is a limited market for new varieties so not much money is put into developing more of them. i.e. the market is fairly well saturated.

i have more varieties here than i can ever study and test and i keep finding more each season.

this year i planted more of the staple varieties we use the most (red, pinto, lima, yellow eye) to rebuild stocks from last year's small harvest and planted out some of the other crosses i've already found so that i could cook some up to see if they are worth continuing (at least two look promising). it's the early harvest time yet so i'm sure more surprises are in store for me.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

My wife had to shake me out of my trance , the pool of saliva beneath my chair was getting pretty big ... the only field pea I'd ever tried was blackeyes , which to me taste much like mud ... I now know there's a wide variety to try .

Reply to
Terry Coombs