Peas

I planted peas around May 1st (late, I know) and now they are 2 feet tall vines. But where are the peas? I thought they'd be like beans with beans all the way up. I see NOTHING. What's going on here?

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

I'm in Rochester NY, zone 5, and I planted mine on April 11th. I planted two kinds: Tall climbing type (snow peas), growing on a 4' tall piece of fence, and regular peas, the kind you can grow using 1' twigs for support. Neither has flowers yet. The taller type looks like it's ready to start producing any day now.

Where do you live?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Pittsburgh. Ah, so they have to produce flowers first. I never grew peas before...I didn't know that. Rochester is probably similar to Pittsburgh.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Yep. Flowers first. Then, watch them closely. They can make peas pretty fast. One day, they'll have small pods. Next day, medium. Two days later, too big and tough texture. Pick fast. If you want to freeze some, check "Joy of Cooking", or google for the Ball canning jar web site. I believe they have info there.

Reply to
Doug Kanter