Peas

Can anyone help please, just started on an allotment and despite reading up on it I'm still feeling a bit lost. I've planted some klevdon wonder peas which are growing well and today I put well rotted down manure all round them as a feed and a mulch. I'm now not sure if I should have done this and don't want to undo the good results I've had so far. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Alison gill

I'm no expert, and you'll probably get better advice, but my understanding is that "well-rotted" manure has less of a tendency to burn plants than the too-fresh kind. Would be interested in others' input. Which critter, BTW? Manure varies from critter to critter, with chicken, ISTR, being the "hottest".

Reply to
aspasia

I'm no expert, and you'll probably get better advice, but my understanding is that "well-rotted" manure has less of a tendency to burn plants than the too-fresh kind. Would be interested in others' input. Which critter, BTW? Manure varies from critter to critter, with chicken, ISTR, being the "hottest".

Reply to
aspasia

Peas set their own nitrogen but they do like good food so the manure won't do them any harm at all I wouldn't think and it should also work as a mulch. Lime/dolomite or ashes from your wood fire is probably more important as peas don't like sour soil and nor do they like poor drainage.

One old way of growing them that seems to work for me is to big a deepish trench and then to put lots of nutrients in the bottom, top this with soil and then plant the seeds - this works well if space is short.

Reply to
FarmI