Tomato Seeds Lifespan?

Hi,

I was cleaning out some drawers and I found a packet of tomato seeds from 1991. Are they still viable?

If they are, is August a good time to start tomatoes in La Mesa, Ca?

Thank you for your time,

Karen R.

Reply to
Karen Rodgers

There's a decent chance, if you really want to keep that variety, and don't have much to lose if they don't germinate.

I can't advise on Left Coast planting times, though.

Gary Woods

The seeds will probably be fine. Not clear on what zone you're in, but what the heck. Plant them and go for it. I remember reading an article about some USDA office that had seeds in a drawer of a desk that had been there since the '40's. No refrigeration, no nothing. The seeds were over 80% viable. Go for it!

Reply to
Thos

Tomato seeds are good for about 7 years. After that, they start to degrade, but I'll bet a few of them are still OK. (just might not have a lot of vigor)

August is a terrible time to start them. Wait until March. :-)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob