Tomato Seeds Lifespan?

Hi,
I was cleaning out some drawers and I found a packet of tomato seeds from 1991. Are they still viable?
If they are, is August a good time to start tomatoes in La Mesa, Ca?
Thank you for your time,
Karen R.

There's a decent chance, if you really want to keep that variety, and don't have much to lose if they don't germinate.
I can't advise on Left Coast planting times, though.
The seeds will probably be fine. Not clear on what zone you're in, but what the heck. Plant them and go for it. I remember reading an article about some USDA office that had seeds in a drawer of a desk that had been there since the '40's. No refrigeration, no nothing. The seeds were over 80% viable. Go for it!

Karen Rodgers wrote:

Tomato seeds are good for about 7 years. After that, they start to degrade, but I'll bet a few of them are still OK. (just might not have a lot of vigor)
August is a terrible time to start them. Wait until March. :-)
Bob