squirrels and netting

Does netting really stop squirrels? It seems to me that they would just chew thru it. I'm thinking of taking out my peach trees because the squirrels like their peaches much greener than I do. They nibble a bit, then drop the peach to the ground for the bunnies.

Regards, Dianna

Reply to
Dianna Visek

Strong netting will not stop a squirrel, but will slow them down. They sense that they could become tangled in the netting and that sometimes deters them. The squirrels may be going after the peach core seeds, or the moisture in the peach if you are having dry conditions. You might try providing some water, if that's the case. As I mentioned in other posts, trapping is the only sure solution

Sherw> Does netting really stop squirrels? It seems to me that they would

Reply to
sherwindu

Yes it does. This is the first year I've used the netting and we harvested all the peaches ourselves for the first time. Get 3/4 inch netting, anything smaller is a PITA and anything bigger the tree rats can go through.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

The netting I've been using for the last few seasons has stopped my fence rats and gray squirrels cold from harvesting my navel, mandarin, and Satsuma oranges; it's also kept the Walkers away from my nectarine and Hachiya. My neighbor uses it to keep the vermin (rodent and human) away from his apple and lemon.

Netting is like an alarm system: Determined crooks'll get past it but the object is to send them off to an easier target (like the neighbor's.) Yes, a smart animal can chew through the net but more likely they'll simply leave it alone for an easier target.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

How do you get the netting over the tree? We have spare netting but the pear tree is at least 20' tall. The squirrels destroy every single pear every single year.

Reply to
Manelli Family

Most of my fruit trees are dwarf, all but the pear, a Kieffer, I keep it pruned to 10 feet. Go to Google and search this newsgroup for my name or for the subject. Two or three ways to do this are mentioned.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Thanks. :o)