seed catalongs

Ladies and Gentlemen,

May I please have YOUR vote for....

"Top Five Seed Catalogs"

Your participation is appreciated.

Em this year - first garden - woooooooo hooooooo Be careful what you wish for....

Reply to
Auntie Em

This is a highly personal sort of thing but...

Pinetree Garden Seeds Johnny's Selected Seeds Stokes Seeds Territorial Seeds

*reserved*

Honorable mentions to Tomato Growers Supply and Parks

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Only have two that we use regularly:

1st (and foremost) - Kings Seeds, Katikati, New Zealand.
customer service, great selection of seeds, reliable germination, fast shipment. You just have to remember that they're in the Southern Hemisphere and when it's summer there, it's winter here.

2nd - Veseys Seeds, PEI, Canada.

now only order seeds from Veseys as we've had very poor luck with roots, rhizomes and/or bulbs. Ross, Southern Ontario, Canada. New AgCanada Zone 5b

43º17.446' North 80º13.472' West To email, remove the obvious from my address.
Reply to
Ross Reid

terra ceia farms (NC, USA) ? amazing prices; also you can buy lilies, hostas, daylilies, tulips, daffodils, etc in bulk at great prices (cannas are 82¢ each!)

park's seeds (SC, USA) ? i order all of my crop seeds from park's

stark bros (MO, USA) ? fruit trees

miller nurseries (NY, USA) ? fruit trees

van bourgondien (VA, USA) ? wonderful selection of plants; i especially like their $5 and $10 specials

pat

Reply to
Patskywriter

Squash from Parks Biker Billy Peppers from Burpee

Territorial Seeds Seeds of Change

John!

UGA Pepper Mon

Reply to
GA Pinhead

Reply to
John H. Carver Jr.

#1 Pinetree #2 Johnny's Selected Seeds #3 Park's #4 Cook's Garden #5 (a new entry for me this year) Totally Tomatoes

The only catalog I've received so far is Totally Tomatoes. :-(

I had to request a new one from Pinetree since I think someone pinched mine.

Mary

Reply to
Mary McHugh

Pinetree Stokes Johnny's Tomato Growers Burpee's

Reply to
Bill Moats

McFayden Eternal Seed Vesey Thompson & Morgan Richter's Herbs

Here's some online catalogs:

Pen

From the little I know 'Pinetree' seed catalog looks to be one of the best in terms of 'plant diversity' and the prices are very good for their rare and exotic edibles.

'is' also a good source for seeds. Another good source for edible fruit and nut trees 'is'

for a $6.98 'Chinese Chestnut'

Arbor is cheaper and offers more selection than 'Home Depot' and 'Wal-Mart'. Arbor also does a great deal to help preserve and promote tree growth.

As many you probably know Arbor has of the best prices on common fruit and nut trees and will give you 10 baby trees, tree info, a sticker and membership for $10.00 They are ten munchers and you help support one of the better non-profits. 'Arbor' , 'Pinetree' or 'ebay' are among the best for those on a shoe string budget who love plants and planting.

Reply to
IKonnoff

Hmmm, and I would say their seed selection is boring and obvious; but the devotion so many people show to Pinetree has always puzzled me. I always wondered if it were a zone thing, that perhaps the seeds they offered did well in cooler climates; or perhaps it's an old company and people remember the catalogs from their childhood, a Sears catalog of the seed world.

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

Or... they offer seeds in more manageable quantities for less than $4.00 a pack. They have MOST of what I'm looking for, I do live in a colder area, and I can sample a lot of different things without breaking the bank. Since I'm not sowing acres and acres of plants (my garden is 1500 sf), I appreciate using up the seeds in the packet in a single growing year.

Their only downside is they're fairly slow getting the seed orders out without paying an expediting fee, tho it's fairly reasonable.

Mary

Reply to
Mary McHugh
.

About Pinetree....I saw an explanation of this in this year's catalogue. They keep their staff on all year, rather than hiring a bunch of temps in the spring. Thus the need to get your order in on the early side, or pay the extra fee.

I like their seeds (they have good germination rates), I like their policies, I love the great prices on books, and they have a large selection of gladiolas at very good prices that do wonderfully for me each year. And I agree, with a small garden, a packet from them is usually just the right size.

Cheers, Sue

Reply to
SugarChile