seed catalongs

Ladies and Gentlemen,
May I please have YOUR vote for....
"Top Five Seed Catalogs"
Your participation is appreciated.
Em this year - first garden - woooooooo hooooooo Be careful what you wish for....
Add pictures here
โœ–
Auntie Em said:

This is a highly personal sort of thing but...
Pinetree Garden Seeds Johnny's Selected Seeds Stokes Seeds Territorial Seeds *reserved*
Honorable mentions to Tomato Growers Supply and Parks

โœ–

Only have two that we use regularly:
1st (and foremost) - Kings Seeds, Katikati, New Zealand. http://www.kingsseeds.co.nz/default.asp Excellent customer service, great selection of seeds, reliable germination, fast shipment. You just have to remember that they're in the Southern Hemisphere and when it's summer there, it's winter here.
2nd - Veseys Seeds, PEI, Canada. http://www.veseys.com / We now only order seeds from Veseys as we've had very poor luck with roots, rhizomes and/or bulbs. Ross, Southern Ontario, Canada. New AgCanada Zone 5b 43บ17.446' North 80บ13.472' West To email, remove the obvious from my address.
Add pictures here
โœ–
terra ceia farms (NC, USA) โ€” amazing prices; also you can buy lilies, hostas, daylilies, tulips, daffodils, etc in bulk at great prices (cannas are 82ยข each!)
park's seeds (SC, USA) โ€” i order all of my crop seeds from park's
stark bros (MO, USA) โ€” fruit trees
miller nurseries (NY, USA) โ€” fruit trees
van bourgondien (VA, USA) โ€” wonderful selection of plants; i especially like their $5 and $10 specials
pat
Add pictures here
โœ–
http://www.evergreenseeds.com /
http://www.totallytomato.com /
http://www.reneesgarden.com /
http://www.cooksgarden.com /
Kuta Squash from Parks Biker Billy Peppers from Burpee
Territorial Seeds Seeds of Change
John!
UGA Pepper Mon

Add pictures here
โœ–
Bountiful gardens Johnny's Selected Seeds Seeds of Change Seed Savers Exchange Peters Seeds and Reasearch

โœ–

#1 Pinetree #2 Johnny's Selected Seeds #3 Park's #4 Cook's Garden #5 (a new entry for me this year) Totally Tomatoes
The only catalog I've received so far is Totally Tomatoes. :-(
I had to request a new one from Pinetree since I think someone pinched mine.
Mary
Add pictures here
โœ–
Pinetree Stokes Johnny's Tomato Growers Burpee's

Add pictures here
โœ–
From the little I know 'Pinetree' seed catalog looks to be one of the best in terms of 'plant diversity' and the prices are very good for their rare and exotic edibles. http://www.ebay.com 'is' also a good source for seeds. Another good source for edible fruit and nut trees 'is' http://www.arborday.org
http://www.arborday.org/Shopping/Trees/TreeDetail.cfm?id 5 for a $6.98 'Chinese Chestnut'
Arbor is cheaper and offers more selection than 'Home Depot' and 'Wal-Mart'. Arbor also does a great deal to help preserve and promote tree growth.
As many you probably know Arbor has of the best prices on common fruit and nut trees and will give you 10 baby trees, tree info, a sticker and membership for $10.00 They are ten munchers and you help support one of the better non-profits. 'Arbor' , 'Pinetree' or 'ebay' are among the best for those on a shoe string budget who love plants and planting.
Add pictures here
โœ–
On 31 Dec 2004 00:13:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (IKonnoff) wrote:

Hmmm, and I would say their seed selection is boring and obvious; but the devotion so many people show to Pinetree has always puzzled me. I always wondered if it were a zone thing, that perhaps the seeds they offered did well in cooler climates; or perhaps it's an old company and people remember the catalogs from their childhood, a Sears catalog of the seed world.
Penelope
โœ–
Penelope Periwinkle wrote:

Or... they offer seeds in more manageable quantities for less than $4.00 a pack. They have MOST of what I'm looking for, I do live in a colder area, and I can sample a lot of different things without breaking the bank. Since I'm not sowing acres and acres of plants (my garden is 1500 sf), I appreciate using up the seeds in the packet in a single growing year.
Their only downside is they're fairly slow getting the seed orders out without paying an expediting fee, tho it's fairly reasonable.
Mary
Add pictures here
โœ–
.

About Pinetree....I saw an explanation of this in this year's catalogue. They keep their staff on all year, rather than hiring a bunch of temps in the spring. Thus the need to get your order in on the early side, or pay the extra fee.
I like their seeds (they have good germination rates), I like their policies, I love the great prices on books, and they have a large selection of gladiolas at very good prices that do wonderfully for me each year. And I agree, with a small garden, a packet from them is usually just the right size.
Cheers, Sue
--
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMearthlink.net
Zone 6, South-central PA