Red Silverbeet

I'm talking about the stuff with the dark green leaf and the wide white stem. Occasionally I've seen Red Silverbeet in the shops, the same stuff but with a red stem.
Now I've managed to grow some Red Silverbeet myself. The problem is I never planted it (all my silver beet is self seedled from last season's crop) and I have never bought any (so it could not have got into my garden via any self made compost). My question is, how did I manage to grow it? Or is 'Red' not a different species? Could there be something in the soil that has turned the silverbeet stalks red?
TIA
SNOOPY
--
Join the fight against aggressive, unrepentant
spammers 'china-netcom'. E-mail me for more

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 22:43:08 +1200, (Snoopy) te**yson@caverock.*et.*z (*is n) wrote:

It's red algae.
On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 22:43:08 +1200, (Snoopy) te**yson@caverock.*et.*z (*is n) wrote:

Better be careful or Redbaiter will label you a Commie. Birds bring it. They pick up the seed 2 doors among then poop in your garden.