QUEEN COX dwarf apple - limbs dieing

I have a 3 yr old dwarf apple from Raintree Nursery growing in Zone 7 (Atlanta). The tree has branched out nicely and is producing apples this year. I have been undergoing CHEMO since Jan-05 and have been unable to take care of my fruit trees. I noticed from the car the apple tree has several branches that are dieing from the tip back to the trunk. As the branch dies, the apples fall off. They are about the size of small crabapples at this point. Anyone have any idea of what might be happening and what I can do to resolve the issue. The Dr.'s believe my leukemia is pesticide related. I prefer not to use pesticides since my wife will have to perform the task.

Reply to
hoghunte

STEPHEN PEEK

Hi Stephen,

Sorry to hear about your illness. When you sprayed in the past, did you wear protective gear, including a breathing mask?

My Cox's Orange Pippen is a semi-dwarf tree I have had for almost 20 years. Last season and this, it has shown signs of distress like late blossoming, discolored and fewer leaves. It seems to be affecting the entire tree uniformly, which is not exactly your case. From what I understand about Fire Blight is that you should be seeing cankers, especially just below the graft. You don't mention this, so it may not be that disease. I haven't figured out yet what's distressing my Cox, but I am hoping it will eventually recover. Your tree is much younger, so it should have a better chance of recovery. If your problem is bacterial related, there are certain treatments of streptomycin sprays, which may help. I would recommend taking one of these affected branches to your closest botanical garden or university extension service to pin down the problem.

Sherw> It could be fire blight. I have it in both apples & pears.

Reply to
sherwindu