Prescription Bottles / Seed Storage

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If you have tried soap and water and that fails try cooking oil (after the label is dry), it will dissolve many of the gums that are not water soluble.
David

I reuse lots of jars &bottles from many sources to use for many purposes - jams/jellies and seed saving being the most common uses. I tend to like TicTac boxes though for smaller seeds and dont' bother to remove their labels - I just gum another new hand written label over the old one. To remove labels I soak the jar/bottle in hot water and detergent - that often gets the label off - sometimes it will come off in one piece because the heat has softened the gum and it just peals of in one whole piece. Sometimes it just softens the paper and that can be torn off leaving paper and gum residue. When this happens I've found that Eucalyptus oil works to get the label and gum off. Sometimes it has to be smeared on and left for a while to penetrate and sometimes it will work almost instantly. Orange oil also works but Eucalyptus oil is by far the best label gum remover I've ever found.
In article

Interesting PDF.
http://www.seedambassadors.org/docs/seedzine4handout.pdf
--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow." - Anon