Growing Peas

Over the past couple of years I've grown peas in a 1m square box but they never grow very high and I only get few pods on them. Is the container too small or is it something else?
--
Grub

Add pictures here
✖

If you want meaningful assistance, Grub, we need to know whether they are trellised, the amount of daily sunshine, type of soil, time of year, watering practices, and how much fertilizer you use. Then at least, we can come up with a plausible story ;O)
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the
poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
Grub wrote:

The area of the box is not important except to the number of plants that you can fit in.. The soil in it and its depth plus the aspect, temperature etc are.
David
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, feed them. Fish emulsion is safe as directed on the bottle. You may be a bit late though. Locally, the peas die about July, and can be replanted in late August. YMMV
--
E Pluribus Unum

Know where your money is tonight?
✖
Gertie2010;960528 Wrote: > Right I planted my pea plants into the ground. They're climbing nicely. > But how do I get maximum growth from them? Do I need to feed them?
There are two parts to the answer to this question. First, peas grow quickly and readily with little assistance. Being legumes, they are also nitrogen fixers capable of drawing nitrogen out of the atmosphere and into the soil. Any ocean-based foliar spray fertilizer, for example liquid seaweed, kelp, etc. readily available in the market, will provide vigorous growth. Second, peas are one of the miracle plants. The more you pick, the more they produce. Pick often and early. :)
As a last note, peas don't like hot weather. So shade them if necessary if you're in a hot climate.
--
rhubarb

Add pictures here
✖