Garlic came up beautifully this year

In Vancouver, WA
Never had tops this healthy. Can't wait to pull up the bulbs.
http://users.megapath.net/~gletendre/garlic/DSC00040.JPG
http://users.megapath.net/~gletendre/garlic/DSC00039.JPG
-SCR
wow, what's your secret? Special variety? Special soil?

Betsy wrote:

No secret. I'm fortunate to live in an area (Portland, OR) that has superb soil, no hard winter and lots of water. The ground doesn't freeze except for occaisional crust.
My yard is prehistoric Columbia River bed. Not only do I not have rocks; I don't even have pebbles.
I have generally great success with plants. My tomato plants yield like crazy.
I use only organic ingredients. I like to think that has lots to do with the plant health. The primary nitrogen source is fishmeal.
I also generate genuine compost from food scraps and coffee grounds from StarBucks. My compost takes four years per batch. No trendy tumblers etc. Ya can't push the decomposition process in my book.
-SCR
Those do look really good! I was looking at mine today. Most are not yet breaking ground. The snow just left the garlic bed this week. I can assure you that mine will not ever look as good as yours do this year.
Steve
scr wrote:

Steve wrote:

Just broke ground? Do you plant in the Fall?
I've always thought Garlic had to overwinter and be planted in the Fall.
SCR
It was planted last fall. The ground has been frozen until recently.
Steve
scr wrote:

Mine didn't do so well yet either, I'm wondering if I lost more than I usually do. It's early yet, I may get more than I think I will. I usually have pretty good luck with it.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 13:41:59 -0700, scr wrote:

What variety is this?
Only my Calif. Whites (grocery store bulbs) look anything like these ... and even there I'd guess yours are about a good week ahead of mine. My Metechi, Leningrad and Ajo Rojo are only about 1/3 of the size you are showing. Are you -sure- you didn't take this picture last summer? ;-)
Bill
--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)
Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately, I didn't record the name of the varieties. I just bought (3) different kinds of hardnecks from Portland Nursery last October, broke them up and planted them with a generous dose of 4 year-old compost, plus (4)fish-meal, (1)rock-phosphate, (1)kelp-meal, (1)cottonseed-meal, (1)Dolomite-Lime.

What?! No fraud, buddy. I took those shots yesterday.
-SCR

Looks like Elephant garlic to me.
Janice

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:46:27 -0600, Janice

Nope. I have no use for Elephant Garlic. It's for those that equate size with taste.
scr
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:47:25 -0700, SCR wrote:

Or like raw garlic in salads.
--
http://cannaday.us (genealogy)
http://organic-earth.com (organic gardening)
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:59:41 -0400, Anonymous

Huh? Why do you think I put so much effort into growing my own?
I crush it raw into olive oil, add sesame oil, crushed white pepper, squeeze real lemon slice....let it steep....and then pour it over a salad.
Man....MMMMMMM.
Sometimes I do strain out the pulp of the garlic to lesten the garlic breath but that's only if the salad is "To Go".
scr

Try porcelain. It's a large head with good flavor.

German white: big heads, strong flavor, usually only 4 cloves! Foliage often up to my waist, at feet plus.
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at www.albany.net/~gwoods Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

You can't use regular garlic raw in salads?
Yours in bad breath,
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at www.albany.net/~gwoods Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G
On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 13:41:59 -0700 in

geeze, looks like my elephant garlic! some of my regular garlic is already starting to dry off. We'll see what it looks like, I have my doubts.
--
waiting for the Gilroy Garlic Festival