Preserving garlic

I've heard that one can store peeled garlic cloves in olive oil.

Do you have to blanch or otherwise sterilize the cloves before putting them up?

P.S. The Siberian Red and the elephant garlic came on like gangbusters; the kitchen smells like a little slice o' heaven.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I'm told on the cooking list that trying this is a good way to get Botulism...

Garlic is not that expensive. Just keep it on hand fresh, or if you are growing too much, dry it and powder it.

K.

Reply to
Katra

You need to soak the peeled cloves in vinegar overnight to acidify them, then they're OK for a few months refrigerated in oil. And the vinegar makes great salad dressing!

Or just pickle the cloves.... I've got a couple of recipes on my personal page in the .sig below.

FWIW, much of the large amount of garlic consumed by Asians in general and Koreans in particular is in pickled form.

Yours in bad breath,

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at

Gary Woods

Does this affect the flavor at all? Does the vinegar? I can't stand the smell of vinegar and conversely the taste because my mother tortured me with it after a 2nd degree sunburn and the smell sends me running for a lukewarm shower.

Reply to
Dee Jay